Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System Post 302517069 by Peasant on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 02:43:45 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Dunno about exact disk layout (stripe or non-stripe, probably not striped since it's root VG).

For these operations you must have online JFS option/depot installed (resizing mount points without umounting them).
As you probably know, root lvm's cannot be umounted during runtime.

Commands you will be using are :
Code:
bdf <mountpoint of lvol9> ## check how many free space you have here.
fsadm <options> ## to reduce free space on <mountpoint> and return it as Free PE to lvol9.
lvreduce <options> on lvol9 # to reduce lvol9 and return Free PE's to vg00
vgdisplay /dev/vg00 # will now show Free PE's avalible.
lvextend <options> /dev/vg00/lvol6
lvdisplay /dev/vg00/lvol6 should now show added extents.
fsadm <options> to increase mountpoint size of lvol6

Remember be careful when looking PE have their size, so if you are using fsadm be sure calculate first for reduction/increase and use appropriate switches (-l and -L). Also, after adding PE's to your LV, fsadm operation requires complete size (old + added) of LV.

Also take backups Smilie (ignite is kewl here).

Here is a nice link.
HP-UX Logical Volume Manager (LVM)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to reduce the size of a logical volume in solaris 9

Hi, I have the following problem. I just have a new machine with mirroring. The logical volume for /opt is dimensionned to 75 GB which is to much. I want a volume of 10 GB. How can I reduce the size ? I tried to reduce the size of the slice from 75 GB to 10 GB, but the size of the logical volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
6 Replies

2. AIX

Extend one Logical Volume

Hi All, I am new to AIX. I need to extend one Logical Volume it is jfs type on On AIX 5.1. I have enough free space on the volume group for this extension Can I use smitty chjfs , will this do it without interruptions to the application that is using this Logical Volume. Thanks Scampi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scampi
1 Replies

3. AIX

Help - can't extend logical volume ?

Hi, Smit "Increase the Size of a Logical Volume" command failed. Output: ---------------------------------------------------------- Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. The distribution of this command (111) failed on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] How to extend a mirrored logical volume?

Want to extend the /home filesystem: Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol4 262144 260088 2056 99% /home root@server:./root # vgdisplay vg00 --- Volume groups --- VG Name /dev/vg00 VG Write Access read/write VG Status available Max LV 255 Cur LV 11 Open... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

6. AIX

Unable to extend volume group(VG)

Would some help me on this below I am trying to extend file system on AIX and however unable to extend the file system. 0516-306 extendvg: Unable to find physical volume 20 in the Device Configuration Database. 0516-321 extendvg: Physical volume u01-lv is not configured. 0516-792... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
15 Replies

7. AIX

/usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group

Dear Expret, Help me about my issue, I trying add new disk to volume Group but error: step add new disk to volume group. 1. ~Change a Volume Group Add a Physical Volume to a Volume Group Remove a Physical Volume from a Volume Group Reorganize a Volume Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. AIX

Cannot extend logical volume

Dear All, We have an Oracle running on AIX 6.1, now there have an disk spaces issue and we found that we cannot perform to extend the logical volume. Could help to review and make some suggestions. Status: we already provisioned some disks to the host, new disks can be scan and add into the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lckdanny
11 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to extend file system

Hi, I have inherited this AIX 5.3 host. I'm unable to increase the /usr file system. It gives me this error. What needs to be done to remove this error? vios:/home/padmin$ chfs -a size=+128M /usr 0516-304 lquerypv: Unable to find device id 0002ef4df616f9690000000000000000 in the Device ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dn888
14 Replies
LVREDUCE(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  LVREDUCE(8)

NAME
lvreduce - reduce the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvreduce [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [-f|--force] [--noudevsync] {-l|--extents [-]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|FREE|ORIGIN}] | [-L|--size [-]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-n|--nofsck] [-r|--resizefs] Logi- calVolume{Name|Path} DESCRIPTION
lvreduce allows you to reduce the size of a logical volume. Be careful when reducing a logical volume's size, because data in the reduced part is lost!!! You should therefore ensure that any filesystem on the volume is resized before running lvreduce so that the extents that are to be removed are not in use. Shrinking snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to create snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). Sizes will be rounded if necessary - for example, the volume size must be an exact number of extents and the size of a striped segment must be a multiple of the number of stripes. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. -f, --force Force size reduction without prompting even when it may cause data loss. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [-]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|FREE|ORIGIN}] Reduce or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the - sign the value will be subtracted from the logical volume's actual size and without it the value will be taken as an absolute size. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. The resulting value for the substraction is rounded downward, for the absolute size it is rounded upward. -L, --size [-]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Reduce or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of k for kilobyte, m for megabyte, g for gigabytes, t for terabytes, p for petabytes or e for exabytes is optional. With the - sign the value will be subtracted from the logical vol- ume's actual size and without it it will be taken as an absolute size. -n, --nofsck Do not perform fsck before resizing filesystem when filesystem requires it. You may need to use --force to proceed with this option. -r, --resizefs Resize underlying filesystem together with the logical volume using fsadm(8). EXAMPLES
Reduce the size of logical volume lvol1 in volume group vg00 by 3 logical extents: lvreduce -l -3 vg00/lvol1 SEE ALSO
fsadm(8), lvchange(8), lvconvert(8), lvcreate(8), lvextend(8), lvm(8), lvresize(8), vgreduce(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVREDUCE(8)