Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System Post 302516998 by Rob Sandifer on Monday 25th of April 2011 07:43:42 PM
Old 04-25-2011
Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System

Background:

Code:
# uname -a
HP-UX deedee B.11.23 U ia64 4294967295 unlimited-user license
deedee.rsn.hp.com:/

Code:
# bdf /opt
Filesystem              kbytes     used      avail     %used          Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol6     6553600   6394216   158144   98%             /opt

/opt is almost full and so lvol6 needs to be extended in size

When I try to extend lvol6 from 400 PE's to a new size of 493 PE's, I get the following:

Code:
# lvextend -l 493 /dev/vg00/lvol6
lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg00/lvol6" could not be extended.

I did a "pvdisplay -v" and discovered that all of the PE's in lvol6 are located on disk /dev/dsk/c8t0d1s2 /dev/dsk/c8t0d1s2 is part of
a SAN environment.

Running "pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c8t0d1s2"
shows that there are now zero Free PE available.

Code:
# pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c8t0d1s2 | more

--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name /dev/dsk/c8t0d1s2
PV Name /dev/dsk/c10t0d1s2 Alternate Link
VG Name /dev/vg00
PV Status available
Allocatable yes
VGDA 2
Cur LV 9
PE Size (Mbytes) 16
Total PE 3463
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 3463
Stale PE 0
IO Timeout (Seconds) default
Autoswitch On
Proactive Polling On

--- Distribution of physical volume ---
LV                            Name LE of LV       PE for LV
/dev/vg00/lvol1                 19                    19
/dev/vg00/lvol2                256                   256
/dev/vg00/lvol3                 33                    33
/dev/vg00/lvol4                 32                    32
/dev/vg00/lvol5                   2                     2
/dev/vg00/lvol6                400                   400
/dev/vg00/lvol7                384                   384
/dev/vg00/lvol8                288                   288
/dev/vg00/lvol9               2049                  2049 

My question is this: Is it somehow possible to free up the extents shown for one of the other file systems, specifically, /dev/vg00/lvol9, and make them available for /dev/vg00/lvol6 ?

Thanks in advance!

Rob S.

Last edited by Neo; 04-25-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to reduce the size of a logical volume in solaris 9

Hi, I have the following problem. I just have a new machine with mirroring. The logical volume for /opt is dimensionned to 75 GB which is to much. I want a volume of 10 GB. How can I reduce the size ? I tried to reduce the size of the slice from 75 GB to 10 GB, but the size of the logical volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
6 Replies

2. AIX

Extend one Logical Volume

Hi All, I am new to AIX. I need to extend one Logical Volume it is jfs type on On AIX 5.1. I have enough free space on the volume group for this extension Can I use smitty chjfs , will this do it without interruptions to the application that is using this Logical Volume. Thanks Scampi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scampi
1 Replies

3. AIX

Help - can't extend logical volume ?

Hi, Smit "Increase the Size of a Logical Volume" command failed. Output: ---------------------------------------------------------- Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. The distribution of this command (111) failed on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] How to extend a mirrored logical volume?

Want to extend the /home filesystem: Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol4 262144 260088 2056 99% /home root@server:./root # vgdisplay vg00 --- Volume groups --- VG Name /dev/vg00 VG Write Access read/write VG Status available Max LV 255 Cur LV 11 Open... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

6. AIX

Unable to extend volume group(VG)

Would some help me on this below I am trying to extend file system on AIX and however unable to extend the file system. 0516-306 extendvg: Unable to find physical volume 20 in the Device Configuration Database. 0516-321 extendvg: Physical volume u01-lv is not configured. 0516-792... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
15 Replies

7. AIX

/usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group

Dear Expret, Help me about my issue, I trying add new disk to volume Group but error: step add new disk to volume group. 1. ~Change a Volume Group Add a Physical Volume to a Volume Group Remove a Physical Volume from a Volume Group Reorganize a Volume Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. AIX

Cannot extend logical volume

Dear All, We have an Oracle running on AIX 6.1, now there have an disk spaces issue and we found that we cannot perform to extend the logical volume. Could help to review and make some suggestions. Status: we already provisioned some disks to the host, new disks can be scan and add into the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lckdanny
11 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to extend file system

Hi, I have inherited this AIX 5.3 host. I'm unable to increase the /usr file system. It gives me this error. What needs to be done to remove this error? vios:/home/padmin$ chfs -a size=+128M /usr 0516-304 lquerypv: Unable to find device id 0002ef4df616f9690000000000000000 in the Device ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dn888
14 Replies
vxres_lvmroot(1M)														 vxres_lvmroot(1M)

NAME
vxres_lvmroot - restore LVM root disk from Veritas Volume Manager root disk SYNOPSIS
vxres_lvmroot [-v] [-b] [-D] new_disk_da_name vxres_lvmroot [-v] [-b] [-D] [-p Pool_1,Pool_2,...] new_disk_da_name DESCRIPTION
The vxres_lvmroot command initializes the specified physical disks as a Logical Volume Manager (LVM) root disks under HP-UX. The resulting LVM root volume group is named vg## where ## is the first number starting at 00 that creates a unique LVM volume group name. The specified disks must have enough space to accommodate the total size of all of the volumes in the VxVM root disk group. The new LVM root volume group is then populated with volumes of the same size and type as the volumes from the existing VxVM root disk group. Volumes named rootvol, swapvol, standvol, usrvol, tmpvol, homevol, optvol and dumpvol on the VxVM root disk are replaced with the LVM standard volume names lvol3, lvol2, lvol1, lvol6, lvol5, lvol4, lvol8, and lvol2 respectively. The names of other volumes on the new root volume group are generated by determining the next available lvoln name for as many volumes as exist on the VxVM root disk group. As each LVM volume is made, the data from each VxVM volume is copied to the equivalent LVM volume. For volumes containing file systems, the copy is performed using the cpio command. For volumes that do not contain file systems, the data is copied using the dd command. To minimize disk arm movement, volume copies are performed serially in the foreground. To ensure that no data corruption has occurred during copying, the fsck command is run on each freshly populated file system. The second form of the vxres_lvmroot command shown in the SYNOPSIS section allows a multiple disk VxVM root disk group to be copied. This form of the command also supports striped volumes. The argument to the -p option is a comma-separated list of additional disks that are required to copy a multiple disk VxVM root disk group. Before commencing copying, vxres_lvmroot determines the number of disks that are required. If insufficient disks are specified, vxres_lvmroot displays how many disks are needed before exiting with an error. After all of the volumes have been copied, the mkboot command is run on the new disk to set it up as a bootable LVM disk under HP-UX. Once this is complete, the root and stand file systems on the new disk are temporarily mounted, and the following files updated to reflect the new environment: o /etc/fstab on the new root file system is updated to reflect the paths to the block device nodes that correspond to the LVM volumes. The old information about mounting VxVM volumes is preserved at the end of the file in comment lines. o /stand/bootconf is regenerated in the new stand file system. The contents of this file define the path of the block device node cor- responding to the new root disk together with an indication that it is an LVM boot disk, for example: l /dev/dsk/c1t5d0 OPTIONS
-b Invokes the setboot command to change the primary and alternate boot device settings. The primary boot device is set to the newly cloned LVM root disk. The alternate boot device is set to the original VxVM root disk. If the -v option is also specified, infor- mation on the setting of the primary and alternate boot devices is displayed. -D Uses the vxdump(1M) and vxrestore(1M) commands to copy VxFS file systems, and the dump(1M) and restore(1M) commands to copy HFS file systems. The default method of copying file systems is to use the find(1M) and cpio(1M) commands. However, if one or more of the file systems to be copied contain files with "holes" (that is, files that appear to be very large, but which are sparse and contain very little storage), this may exceed the capability of the target file system to copy the files using find and cpio. One symp- tom of this condition is to receive a "file system full" indication on the target file system while copying. (Whereas the find and cpio commands assume that a file's size correctly represents the storage required, the vxdump, vxrestore, dump and restore commands copy a sparse file as it appears in the source file system.) If a "file system full" condition is indicated for one of the target file systems, start vxres_lvmroot again with the -D option specified. Note: the vxdump, vxrestore, dump and restore commands are not well suited for running from a shell script. If you interrupt the script (for example, by pressing Ctrl-C), these commands prompt you to ask whether you really want to continue or abort. The out- put from the dump commands is verbose and so is redirected to a file. As this redirection would hide any continue/abort prompt, and make the program appear to hang, the interrupt signal is temporarily disabled while the copy is in progress (a message to this effect is displayed if the -v option is specified). -v Outputs verbose messages including a timestamp that indicates major operations being performed. Since copying the data on a root disk can take a considerable amount of time, this gives an indication of the progress being made. ARGUMENTS
new_disk_da_name Specifies the device name (disk access name) of the physical disk that is to become the LVM root disk. EXAMPLES
This example shows the vxres_lvmroot command invoked in its simplest form: /etc/vx/bin/vxres_lvmroot c5t1d0 This example shows the behavior of the vxres_lvmroot command when invoked with the -v (verbose) option: # /etc/vx/bin/vxres_lvmroot -v -b c5t13d0 vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Gathering information on the current VxVM root config vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Checking specified disk(s) for usability vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Preparing disk c5t13d0 as an LVM root disk vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Creating LVM Volume Group vg00 vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/standvol (hfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol1 vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Cloning /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/swapvol (swap) to /dev/vg00/lvol2 vxres_lvmroot 18:12: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/rootvol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol3 vxres_lvmroot 18:13: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/homevol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol4 vxres_lvmroot 18:13: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/tmpvol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol5 vxres_lvmroot 18:13: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/usrvol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol6 vxres_lvmroot 18:33: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/optvol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol7 vxres_lvmroot 18:41: Copying /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/varvol (vxfs) to /dev/vg00/lvol8 vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Setting up disk c5t13d0 as an LVM boot disk vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Installing fstab and fixing dev nodes on new root FS vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Current setboot values: vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Primary: 0/4/0/1.10.0 vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Alternate: 0/4/0/1.12.0 vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Making disk c5t13d0 (0/4/0/1.13.0) the primary boot disk vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Making disk c5t10d0 (0/4/0/1.10.0) the alternate boot disk vxres_lvmroot 18:45: Disk c5t13d0 is now an LVM (VG vg00) rootable boot disk NOTES
If the vxres_lvmroot command aborts for any reason, or if you interrupt the command during execution (unless this is inhibited by the -D option), an attempt is made to clean up the LVM objects that had been generated up to the time of the abort or interruption. If an LVM object cannot be removed, an explanatory message is displayed. SEE ALSO
cpio(1), dd(1), dump(1M), fsck(1M), restore(1M), setboot(1M), vxbootsetup(1M), vxcp_lvmroot(1M), vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M), vxdump(1M), vxre- store(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxres_lvmroot(1M)