Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Feeding password in bash script Post 302516913 by jcdole on Monday 25th of April 2011 01:41:09 PM
Old 04-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
However, changing to passwordless trusted public-private key authentication is a much better practice.
I know that, but I am doing brute force test with false user on false ldap database so it does not matter. I am just fed up with typing password.

So if you can help me it would be great.

Thank you for helping.

JCD

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Bash script prompt for sudo password?

I'm making a script that will be a double clickable .command file and I need it to prompt for the users admin password. So far I have: if ]; then sudo -p "Please enter your admin password: " date 2>/dev/null 1>&2 if ; then echo "You entered an invalid password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatGmac
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a MySql password from bash script

Hi all, I am running this script on Mandrakelinux release 10.1, 2.6.8.1-12mdksmp #1 SMP I have also installed 'expect' separately. I have created an Rsync script, but before any Rsync command does run, a MySql dump must be done first, and I am battling a bit to pass the MySql password from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to hide password in bash script?

Dear folks, The title of my thread says mostly all of what I want to do. Basically I want to auto-ssh to a remote host, and run a program on it (VLC is just an example). I wrote a script which calls xterm and then runs expect on it. The code is as follow #!/bin/bash export PASS="xxxxxxx"... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: dukevn
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for password recovery

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to bash scripting, although I have some experience in programming. The thing is that I have a .dmg file on my mac which I protected with a password, and now I've forgotten it. I remember the first few letters of the password and the characters that represent the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujay.jauhar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Masking Password from within a Bash Shell Script

Is there a way to mask the password inside of a script to minimize the impact of a comprimised server? So ssh -o "PasswordAuthentication no" -o "HostbasedAuthentication yes" -l testuser 192.168.3.1 "mysqldump --opt --all-databases -u root -pPassword| gzip" > $backup_dir/mysqldump.gz a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with feeding password while changing to root user

i want to change user to "root" from another user while running a script. how can i automatically feed the password? for example, i want to write a script say "script.sh"... it will first run the command "p" as mhmn user, and then it will change the user to "root" by using "su - root" command. at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhmn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a password protected bash script resist/refuse “bash -x” when the password is given

I want to give my long scripts to customer. The customer must not be able to read the scripts even if he has the password. The following command locks and unlocks the script but the set +x is simply ignored. The code: read -p 'Script: ' S && C=$S.crypt H='eval "$((dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=//|gpg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password check in bash script calling on expect

password check in bash script calling on expect Background: I have to copy a file from one server, to over 100 servers in a test environment. once the file is copied, it requires to have the permissions on the file changed/verified. These are all linux servers. most of them have the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2legit2quit
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for password changes help

I am super new to scripting and I am trying to create a bash script that is interactive that will change other user passwords as well as a few other thing (ie. change SMB pw, see pw expiration,lock/unlock user). I have started it by making it check to see if the username entered is in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbelina
2 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)