Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RedHat 9 Questions
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat 9 Questions Post 302516845 by alister on Monday 25th of April 2011 10:43:23 AM
Old 04-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Snowden
I am using Red Hat 9, that and nothing else.
Could you please elaborate on why that's the case? It's extremely uncommon for someone to be using a Linux distribution of such vintage. Has it been forced on you by an institution? I am genuinely curious.

Quote:
o Does anyone know if there are simple instructions for activating a
firewall for Red Hat 9, and if it is important to have?
Googling for 'red hat 9 documentation':
Personal Firewalls
Basic Firewall Configuration
Firewalls

These manuals are probably installed somewhere on your workstation (or are on the media used to install the operating system), but here's an online version:
Redhat Linux 9 Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux
Red Hat Linux 9, the final release, hit its official end-of-life on 2004-04-30, although updates were published for it through 2006 by the Fedora Legacy project...
Given that new security holes are announced nearly every single day, a firewall on a long ago discontinued version of Linux should not be very comforting (legitimate traffic can still remotely exploit software which is known to be vulnerable):
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html

Quote:
o I have a brand new HP Laserjet P1102 printer which I am desperate to get
working with Red Hat 9. Is that impossible?
Not according to the first two google results for 'red hat HP Laserjet P1102':
redhat linux drivers for HP LaserJet Pro P1102 Printer [solved]
foo2zjs: a linux printer driver for ZjStream protocol

Quote:
o What browser would you recommend for Red Hat 9 today?
- I am currently using Konqueror 3.1-15
- Also working is Firefox 0.8
- Are there better, maybe later, versions? Opera?
You can try checking with the Fedora Legacy project; they provided updates and security fixes for Red Hat Linux 9 after Red Hat, Inc. discontinued RH9. That said, Fedora Legacy shut down a few years ago and most mirrors aren't even working anymore. I tried over 10 links on the mirror list before hitting one that is still reachable. In one of their repositories you may find a more recent browser than those you are currently using, but whatever Fedora Legacy has to offer will by no means be contemporary.

The Fedora Legacy Project
Fedora Legacy Repository

You could try building one yourself, but I doubt a modern browser's source will build on such an old system (although there's nothing preventing you from grabbing the code and giving it a try). Perhaps you can find a statically linked Opera binary? I don't think such a beast exists for Firefox.

Perhaps you'll have some luck at:
http://www.opera.com/browser/downloa...rements/#linux
http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?custom=yes

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-25-2011 at 11:49 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat

Hi all, I'm installing RedHat 7.0 on a laptop. As it's a dual boot with win2k I make a boot sector instead of using the MBR. After the install I mark the boot sector active in windows then I can boot into Linux. First question. When I make the boot sector active it deletes the swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

3. Linux

redhat

hello people i just installed redhat, everything seemes to be fine, but when i start it, it boots up normally and starts firstboot or whatever, then it opens something, i can move the mouse for a while(thats all i see.. first the X then an arrow..) but then the whole computer freezes.. i think the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
3 Replies

4. SuSE

redhat

i just bought a redhat 9.0 book which comes with the operating system and Ive install it as a server however Im having difficulties installing Swat and I just wonder if I have to spend buy an enterprise server or what ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

redhat

if sombody can help it will be very good.I want to have some information concerning redhat 9.How to go in the internet with :confused: ,how to programmate in c or c++,and finally how i can use it esaly.Sorry for my english i'm a french speaker ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyep
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat 5.8 to 6.0

Hi, Currently running Redhat 5.8, I am thinking about upgrading to 6. After the upgrade, in case, I want to downgrade. How would I do that? Please let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies