Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing duplicates
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing duplicates Post 302516844 by gctex on Monday 25th of April 2011 10:30:41 AM
Old 04-25-2011
Removing duplicates

I have a test file with the following 2 columns:

Code:
Col 1       |     Col 2
T1          |         1    <= remove
T5          |         1
  T4        |         2
    T1      |         3
    T3      |         3
T4          |         1    <= remove
  T1        |         2    <= remove
  T3        |         2    <= remove
T3          |         1    <= remove
T2          |         1

I need to remove any sub branches ... eg., T4 in the left column appears above with a value of 2 in the right column. So remove any other occurences of T4 with lesser value in the right column. Similarly T1, 1 T1,2 need to be removed because there is T1,3. Data with higher value in Column 2 needs to be retained.

Expected final list:

Code:
T5          |         1
  T4        |         2
    T1      |         3
    T3      |         3
T2          |         1

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates

Hi, I've been trying to removed duplicates lines with similar columns in a fixed width file and it's not working. I've search the forum but nothing comes close. I have a sample file: 27147140631203RA CCD * 27147140631203RA PPN * 37147140631207RD AAA 47147140631203RD JNA... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates and sort -k

Hello experts, I am trying to remove all lines in a csv file where the 2nd columns is a duplicate. I am try to use sort with the key parameter sort -u -k 2,2 File.csv > Output.csv File.csv File Name|Document Name|Document Title|Organization Word Doc 1.doc|Word Document|Sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicates

Hi I have a file that are a list of people & their credentials i recieve frequently The issue is that whne I catnet this list that duplicat entries exists & are NOT CONSECUTIVE (i.e. uniq -1 may not weork here ) I'm trying to write a scrip that will remove duplicate entries the script can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_velvet
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates

Hi, I have a file in the below format., test test (10) to to (25) see see (45) and i need the output in the format of test 10 to 25 see 45 Some one help me? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imdadulla
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

removing duplicates.

Hi All In unix ,we have a file ,there we have to remove the duplicates by using one specific column. Can any body tell me the command. ex: file1 id,name 1,ww 2,qwq 2,asas 3,asa 4,asas 4,asas o/p: 1,ww 2,qwq 3,asa (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju4u
7 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Removing all the duplicates

i want to remove all the duplictaes in a file.I dont want even a single entry. For the input data: 12345|12|34 12345|13|23 3456|12|90 15670|12|13 12345|10|14 3456|12|13 i need the below data in one file 15670|12|13 and the below data in another file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in removing duplicates

I have an input file abc.txt with info like: abcd rateuse inklite robet rateuse abcd I need to remove duplicates from the file (eg: abcd,rateuse) from the file and need to place the contents in same file abc.txt if needed can be placed in another file. can anyone help me in this :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicates from a file

Hi All, I am merging files coming from 2 different systems ,while doing that I am getting duplicates entries in the merged file I,01,000131,764,2,4.00 I,01,000131,765,2,4.00 I,01,000131,772,2,4.00 I,01,000131,773,2,4.00 I,01,000168,762,2,2.00 I,01,000168,763,2,2.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates except the last occurrence

Hi All, i have a file like below, @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_CU_OM_BIL_PRT_STMT_TYP.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_CDP_BILL_LBL_MSG.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_OM_BIDDR.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Insert_CU_OM_LBL_MSG.sql... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mechvijays
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
Col filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so the output is in the correct order with only forward and half forward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). Col reads from standard input and writes to standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the follow- ing line. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. -lnum Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. The control sequences for carriage motion that col understands and their decimal values are listed in the following table: ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7) ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8) ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9) backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. Col keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. SEE ALSO
expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to the Single UNIX Specification, Version 2. The -l option is an extension to the standard. HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The col command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 17, 1991 BSD