Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RedHat 9 Questions
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat 9 Questions Post 302516838 by verdepollo on Monday 25th of April 2011 09:34:14 AM
Old 04-25-2011
Quote:
Does anyone know if there are simple instructions for activating a firewall for Red Hat 9
You can use iptables, not sure if it's included by default but you can certainly install it yourself.

Quote:
it is important to have?
Yes, but IMO if you are really concerned about security then it would be more important not to use an ancient OS.

Quote:
I have a brand new HP Laserjet P1102 printer which I am desperate to get working with Red Hat 9. Is that impossible?
Have a look here: foo2xqx: a linux printer driver for XQX stream protocol

Quote:
What browser would you recommend for Red Hat 9 today?
Any browser would do as long as it's a recent version. Old browsers tend to have a plethora of known bugs and are easily exploitable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat

Hi all, I'm installing RedHat 7.0 on a laptop. As it's a dual boot with win2k I make a boot sector instead of using the MBR. After the install I mark the boot sector active in windows then I can boot into Linux. First question. When I make the boot sector active it deletes the swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

3. Linux

redhat

hello people i just installed redhat, everything seemes to be fine, but when i start it, it boots up normally and starts firstboot or whatever, then it opens something, i can move the mouse for a while(thats all i see.. first the X then an arrow..) but then the whole computer freezes.. i think the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
3 Replies

4. SuSE

redhat

i just bought a redhat 9.0 book which comes with the operating system and Ive install it as a server however Im having difficulties installing Swat and I just wonder if I have to spend buy an enterprise server or what ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

redhat

if sombody can help it will be very good.I want to have some information concerning redhat 9.How to go in the internet with :confused: ,how to programmate in c or c++,and finally how i can use it esaly.Sorry for my english i'm a french speaker ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyep
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat 5.8 to 6.0

Hi, Currently running Redhat 5.8, I am thinking about upgrading to 6. After the upgrade, in case, I want to downgrade. How would I do that? Please let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies
UP2DATE(8)							   Red Hat, Inc.							UP2DATE(8)

NAME
rhnsd - a program for quering the Red Hat Network for updates and information SYNOPSIS
rhnsd [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
rhnsd is a daemon process that runs in the background and periodically polls the Red Hat Network to see if there are any queued actions available. If any are queued, it runs them. rhnsd is typically started from the init scripts in /etc/init.d/rhnsd when it's time to poll the Red Hat Network servers for available updates and actions. The default interval is every 120 minutes. The minimum polling interval is 60 minutes. To check for updates, rhnsd runs an external program called rhn_check. This is a small application that actually makes the network connec- tion to Red Hat Networks. The rhnsd daemon does not listen on any network ports, nor does it ever talk to the network directly. Any network activity is done via the rhn_check utility. rhnsd can be configure by editing the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd config file. This is actually the configuration file the rhnsd init script /etc/init.d/rhnsd uses. -i, --interval Specify the interval that rhnsd should wait between checking the Red Hat Network. Default is 120 minutes, the minimum is 60 minutes. This can also be specified in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd -v, --verbose output more information about what rhnsd is doing. -f, --foreground force the rhnds process to run in the foreground instead of automatically backgrounding itself, as it does by default. FILES /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd Configuration settings for the rhnsd daemons init script. /usr/sbin/rhn_check The external program launched by rhnsd to connect to the Red Hat Network and retrieve any actions that have queued up. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid A certification that authenticates the client machine to the Red Hat Network. Generated via the up2date or rhnreg_ks utility. SEE ALSO
The rhnsd daemon is tightly coupled with Red Hat Network. Visit <http://www.redhat.com/network> for access or to sign up. rhn_check(8), up2date(8), up2date-config(8), AUTHORS
Written by Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> and Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. 4th Berkeley Distribution Fri Feb 9 2001 UP2DATE(8)