Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question: Automatic launching of a CLI menu upon login (OpenBSD) Post 302516834 by DGPickett on Monday 25th of April 2011 09:29:03 AM
Old 04-25-2011
So, it's implicitly impossible unless you have a setuid binary in the middle. I guess you could write a trivial re-executing program to setuid if you though it was a good idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

openbsd : cannot login

hi OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system! The system is OpenBSD 3.5. It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic time out of user login

I have asked by our security team to implement an automatic time out for user logins after a specified time interval. I have never heard of this feature in Unix before. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this for HP-UX 11i? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic login script

Hi, I'm a beginner in unix.As a part of my script i need to remote logon using ssh. my script run as being asked for password and logons only after the user enters the password correctly. But my script stops executing after that as I login to a different server(different shell if i'm right).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanand
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic login

Hello all, I need a script that can run an sftp session into a remote server, and retreive a file. Does anyone know how to pass in the user/password details in a script? I seem to have forgotten (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Automatic login

Hi, Boss I have a question.... BackGround: i have a shell name xxxLineInput.x the useage is: xxxLineInput.x -Txxx -Uxxx -Pxxx when i use the command line..can run normal. Target: i want to set automatic login, the mean is when i login the as the specifical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login

I need a script that will let me connect to my hpux server with just a click of the icon without type my username and password. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tree740
5 Replies

7. Slackware

Automatic login without X

I know how to set up KDM or GDM to do automatic login, but is there a way to do it without GDM or KDM or X at all so when I start the machine I am immediately taken to a waiting command prompt? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login at startup

Hi, how can I set my linux server that it logs in the main user at startup? I would like to be able to make a restart remotely and be able to connect to the server again afterwards. The problem is that the server waits for a login and than connects to the network. So at the beginning at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Automatic Login to Desktop

On Solaris 11 is it possible to bypass the userid/password requirement to automatically login to the desktop ? I'm the sole user and it is really not necessary to secure the system. I have searched this forum and have not found a relevant post. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Scheduling automatic Internet explorer login

Hi , I am using windows XP and IE8 I have my credentials stored for a website in internet explorer. I want to implement below scenario. I have entered both username/password for a website and left IE explorer open and locked my computer I want the computer to login in that website... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
1 Replies
setuid(2)							System Calls Manual							 setuid(2)

NAME
setuid - Sets the user ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setuid ( uid_t user_id ); Application developers may want to specify an #include statement for <sys/types.h> before the one for <unistd.h> if programs are being developed for multiple platforms. The additional #include statement is not required on Tru64 UNIX systems or by ISO or X/Open standards, but may be required on other vendors' systems that conform to these standards. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: setuid(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the new user ID. DESCRIPTION
The setuid() function sets the real user ID, effective user ID, and the saved set user ID to the user_id parameter. To change the real user ID, the effective user ID, and the saved set user ID, the calling process must have superuser privilege. If the process does not have appropriate privilege, but the user_id parameter is equal to the real user ID or the saved set user ID, the setuid() function sets the effective user ID to the user_id parameter. The real user ID and saved set user ID remain unchanged. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the setuid() function returns a value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, the function returns a value of -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setuid() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: [Tru64 UNIX] The process is attempting an operation that would exceeds a system limit, such as the number of tasks or threads allowed for a user ID. The value of the user_id parameter is invalid. The process does not have superuser privileges, and the user_id parameter does not match the real user ID or the saved set user ID. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: exec(2), getuid(2), setgid(2), setreuid(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off setuid(2)