Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Why older administrators prefer sendmail ? Post 302516621 by Corona688 on Sunday 24th of April 2011 02:09:49 PM
Old 04-24-2011
First and most obviously, these are the UNIX forums, and Exchange is a Windows product.

The UNIX philosophy is that programs should do one thing and do it well. A mail server should be a mail server -- not a bloated all-singing all-dancing time management monstrosity. Go down that path too far and you get Lotus Notes, a mail program so baroque that nobody can tell you what it actually does in full, or why, without beginning to drool and twitch.

There's a lot of good reasons to not want to use Microsoft products, besides. The upgrade treadmill is one. The ridiculous prices are another, even as we watch licenses grow more and more expensive plus less and less useful. The long history of legendary security goofs, and continuing security issues even now, is a third.

As an aside, vanilla sendmail is pretty obsolete now. There's other compatible options like postfix.

Last edited by Corona688; 04-24-2011 at 04:39 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Administrators Schooling

Hi, I was wondering how everyone has gotten good their training in unix. Did anyone specialize in college/university or take a course at a computer institute. At my college you can't really sepcialize in unix, there is only 2 courses. The first unix course is all about shell programming and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Astudent
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Question to Forum Administrators ?

How can i track all my previous, current posts at one single place. How to do that ? Thanks in Advance !!1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why most of the people prefer linux nowadays y not solaris?

Hi, Anyone plz explain me, Now most of the people prefering linux over solaris. what are the main advantages in linux over solaris. Thanks muthulingaraja (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
3 Replies

4. AIX

Create Administrators

I think I've done all that is necessary to configure an account to administer a non-administrative group, but it doesn't work. One thing is strang is that when I log in as root, the group attributes in SMIT are like this: Group NAME Group ID ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurin1
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Do you prefer Quickbooks, Microsoft or another small business accounting software?

I am starting a small business. I need software to invoice and track payments, track income and expense and basically keep everything organized for tax time. I've read positive and negative on all small business accounting software, so now I'm really confused. Oh, my business is a service one, so I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunybck
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

How do you prefer to read books?

Time for a new poll. Just wondering how members in this forum prefer to read books. Paper E-reader Tablet Laptop/Desktop Smartphone Audiobook Not much of a reader Other A poll is added. If you select option: Other, please specify what it is. :b: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
14 Replies
praliases(1)							   User Commands						      praliases(1)

NAME
praliases - display system mail aliases SYNOPSIS
praliases [-C configfile] [-f aliasfile] [key] DESCRIPTION
The praliases utility displays system mail aliases. When no key is given, praliases displays the current system aliases, one per line, in no particular order. The form is key:value. If a key is given, only that key is looked up and the appropriate key:value is displayed if found. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -C configfile Specifies a sendmail configuration file. -f aliasfile Reads the specified file aliasfile instead of the default sendmail system aliases file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: key A specific alias key to look up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/mail/aliases Default sendmail system aliases file /etc/mail/aliases.db Database versions of the /etc/mail/aliases file /etc/mail/aliases.dir Database versions of the /etc/mail/aliases file /etc/mail/aliases.pag /etc/mail/sendmail.cf Default sendmail configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailq(1), newaliases(1M), sendmail(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 29 Mar 2004 praliases(1)