Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Total noob script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Total noob script Post 302516619 by Corona688 on Sunday 24th of April 2011 01:56:10 PM
Old 04-24-2011
why are you declaring f_pause twice? declare it once, then just use it, like a command.

Where do you expect $1 to come from? A commandline parameter or the read?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob. need help to create a script.

Hi All. im a noob to scripting. could somone help me with a script please. what i want to do is. 1. run a cmd in the script - qmqtool -s this will give me an output similar to this. Messages in local queue: 790 Messages in remote queue: 306 Messages in todo queue: 23 i then want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aron
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does my script not work? (Noob Alert)

I am a scripting noob and I have tried to search on google, but cannot find the answer as to why this script doesn't work properly. The idea of this script is that it will list all files starting with f in a certain folder, and delete all but the three newest one. I am trying to achieve this by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bronkeydain
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob, script formatting query

Hi all, im new to the forums and i hope im not asking a heavily posted Q but here goes. I use the following script to do a simple calculation, the problem is, the data i receive is in the form of numbers with commas i.e. 1,000,000 This code below wont recognise the commas so i have to remove... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benjo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob needs script help Grep

while read s1 s2; do grep -i -w $s1 6-29data | tr "" "" | sed 's/^*,//' | sed 's/200906/2009-06-/g' >> $s1.txt ; cat header > here ; cat $s1.txt | sort | uniq | tac >> here ; cat here | uniq > $s1.txt ; done < list Wow this almost worked file list has 8000 stock symbols which are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any way of splitting the script (Noob Here).

I m writing a script to check Server Hardening. The problem is whenever i add new point it grows and it become very tedious to edit the script file. Is there any way of making them separate and call them from one base script? Is it possible to define global variable that can be accessed via... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with simple script (noob)

Hi This is my first time attempting a bash script, or any kind of programming. I'm trying to get a clear picture but it helps to work backwards. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could show me what this script would look like... Write a script that displays todays date in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: earthicle
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Noob BASH scripting question

Hello All, I have a file of ip addresses called activeips.txt What I'm trying to do is run a simple bash script that has a loop in it. The loop is a cat of the IP addresses in the file. The goal is to run 2 nmap commands to give me outputs where each address in the list has an OS... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_Pitt
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user?

Say I have this line: read -p "Enter 3 numbers: " num1 num2 num3; I want to write a while loop that repeatedly asks for input if the number of inputs entered is not equal to 3. I don't know the correct command to find the number of inputs entered. Help, please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jejemonx
4 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one doesn't already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. Normally, varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable of that name in the current namespace is read or written. If varName includes names- pace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), the variable in the specified namespace is read or written. If no procedure is active, then varName refers to a namespace variable (global variable if the current namespace is the global namespace). If a procedure is active, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure unless the global command was invoked to declare varName to be global, or unless a variable command was invoked to declare varName to be a namespace variable. SEE ALSO
expr(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)