Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modifying a shell script without using an editor Post 302516314 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of April 2011 02:04:12 PM
Old 04-22-2011
That's a really vague question. what do you want to do?

You can create a script without an editor simply enough:

Code:
cat >script.sh <<"EOF"
var="hello world"
echo "$var"
EOF
chmod +x ./script.sh
./script.sh

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying from borne shell to C shell

Just want to know a few conversion tricks. in Borne Shell, I have the line: if test -s testmap then ... fi ## testmap is a filename and I wanna test whether it exists ## then do whatever How can I convert that to C Shell? I've tried: if (test -s testmap) then ... endif but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkisoft
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying my shell

Hello, I have installed a new program called chimera under the directory /usr/local/bin/chimera. the executable is under the directory /usr/local/bin/chimera/bin/chimera.e If i put myself under the latest directiry and I type ./chimera, the program works. I would like to avoid this and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nico-hellas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a csv file from Shell Script

Hi all, I have some script that creates a temp csv file. What I need to do is do some search and replace and modify the file from my shell script. I know the commands to open the file and then apply the reg ex but wasnt sure how I could do this from a script and modify the file? Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Ex editor commands in a shell script - Help!

Hi all, I am trying to use the Ex editor and its commands in a script - more specifically within an if statement within a while loop. Here are the basics of the loop: cat $file1 | while read line do grep $line $file2 if ] then echo $line > $file2 elseex $file2 /ESI185... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help modifying script

I have a script that currently runs fine and I need to add or || (or) condition to the if statement and I'm not sure the exact syntax as it relates to the use of brackets. my current script starts like this: errLog="/usr/local/website-logs/error.log" apacheRestart="service httpd restart"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjj0923
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor

I have an existing shell script that I am trying to modify. I have about 10 lines of info I want to overwrite using text someone emailed to me. I guess what I am trying to do basically is like a copy/paste, but it's not working for me. I am using Cygwin and vi editor. I open the script and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with shell script for modifying a user

#/bin/sh echo "enter the user name" read $username echo "Enter new home directory" read $newhd usermod -d $newhd $username ;; error while executing : enter the user name Rev Enter new home directory: /home/58745 usermod: option requires an argument -- 'd' Try `usermod --help' or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying contents of the file in shell script

Hello all, I have a Kconfig file that looks like something below ... ================================ menu "Application type" config GUI_TYPE_STANDARD bool "Standard Application" source "cfg/config/std.in" source... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying/Adding in the DNS server entry using shell script

Dear Experts. I need to add/modify the entries in the DNS server and this has to be achieved using shell script and below is the requirement, could you please let me know if a shell script can be written for this task? 1. Log in to primary DNS server 2. Check /etc/named.conf if zone is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VKIRUPHAKARAN
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the shell script to select pattern

Hello, I have script which work 70% of the desired task , the output from script.sh is following , however the desired output I require is following . Any piece of suggestion would be great.. thanks in advance, emily #!/bin/bash ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies
diff3(1)							   User Commands							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [-exEX3] filename1 filename2 filename3 DESCRIPTION
diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 filename1 is different ====2 filename2 is different ====3 filename3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. The following command will apply the resulting script to filename1. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - filename1 OPTIONS
-e Produce a script for the ed(1) editor that will incorporate into filename1 all changes between filename2 and filename3 (that is, the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3). -x Produce a script to incorporate only changes flagged ====. -3 Produce a script to incorporate only changes flagged ====3. -E Produce a script that will incorporate all changes between filename2 and filename3, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by <<<<<< and >>>>>> lines. -X Produce a script that will incorporate only changes flagged ====, but treat these changes in the manner of the -E option. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diff3 when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/d3* /usr/lib/diff3prog ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWesu | |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) NOTES
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64 Kbytes will not work. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 diff3(1)