Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SuSE-11 Ownership of files having root got changed Post 302515960 by fpmurphy on Thursday 21st of April 2011 08:45:52 AM
Old 04-21-2011
I frankly do not understand why this monitoring tool needs such an account. The standard way to handle this is for the tool to be a setuid root binary.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in work directory reverting to root ownership

Hi, I have a problem with a Unix server we do not adminster but have an application running on. The problem is that overnight, files in the /user4/work directory revert to root ownership. This causes problems as we cannot process the files. 1) What would be causing files to revert to root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc ownership was changed via chown

Hello all: I have a couple of boxes located in New York, both running SunOS 5.6. I, unfortunately, am located in Pittsburgh and do not have console access to these boxes. A co-worker was attempting to build a user account in one of these boxes, and mistakenly did a: chown username * ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
5 Replies

4. SuSE

root folders group changed in SUSE linux

The group of the /root folder has been changed and then logged out I am not able to log in to the /root user as it is saying Xsession log in not allowed Is there any way that the group of the /root folder be changed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: napster_san
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what impact root gid changed from other to root is?

> id root 0(root) 1(other) From CIS scanning result"it should make sure the root's gid is equal to 0", so I don't know what's the impact for that change to whole system? BTW, why is there a group named other under solaris? what does group "other" do ? Thanks very much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Accidentally Changed File Ownership to Include a "Comment" [AIX]

Hi. I've had a little mishap. To cut a long story short, I've accidentally recursively ran chown on a directory (actually a bunch of 'em). Not a problem in itself, but I had a slight error in the code I used to get the list of directories and ended up with a comment in the file ownership. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root user changed language display

Hi, I was carrying out some simple admin tasks setting up a user, logged in as root when I fumbled on the keyboard. It appears I typed cp * ../user/<esc><esc>I hit return and now the display has set to a strange array of symbols e.g. ¼Ùïõò §ÏÅÎÓÓȧ ãïîîåãôéïî èáó ôåòíéîáôåä I've tried looking at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky492
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Accidentally changed ownership-unable to SSH into server.

Hi All, Accidentally changed ownership of /var directory as root :eek: thinking that I am changing ownership of var directory in other location in the file system:D.Now unable to SSH into the server:(. By gods grace I was able to regain the access again as server was in control of me at that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
5 Replies

10. AIX

Root password changed but old one still works

Hello i am running AIX 6.1. i recently changed the root password using passwd and pwdadm. while the new password works fine, i am still able to login using the old password. is there anyway this can disabled\fixed thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnlsingh
5 Replies
MC-TOOL(1)							     Utilities								MC-TOOL(1)

NAME
mc-tool - manipulate Mission Control accounts from the command line SYNOPSIS
mc-tool list mc-tool add PROFILE DISPLAY-NAME [PARAMETER-SETTINGS...] mc-tool add MANAGER/PROTOCOL [PARAMETER-SETTINGS...] mc-tool update ACCOUNT [PARAMETER-SETTINGS...] mc-tool display ACCOUNT DISPLAY-NAME mc-tool nick ACCOUNT NICKNAME mc-tool service ACCOUNT SERVICE-NAME mc-tool icon ACCOUNT ICON mc-tool show ACCOUNT mc-tool get ACCOUNT PARAMETER [PARAMETER...] mc-tool auto-presence ACCOUNT STATUS [MESSAGE] mc-tool request ACCOUNT STATUS [MESSAGE] mc-tool auto-connect ACCOUNT on|off mc-tool remove ACCOUNT DESCRIPTION
mc-tool's usage depends on its first argument (the "command") SPECIFYING ACCOUNTS Where an account name is needed, it may be given as a full object path (e.g. /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Account/gabble/jabber/example), or as the unique account-specific suffix (e.g. gabble/jabber/example). SPECIFYING PARAMETER SETTINGS Many commands take arguments that represent Telepathy connection manager parameters (see the Telepathy Specification for details of these). Each argument has the following form: TYPE:NAME=VALUE where TYPE is either int, uint, bool, or string (other parameter types exist, but are currently unsupported by mc-tool), NAME is the name of the connection manager parameter (e.g. account or password), and VALUE is the parameter's value (with integers in decimal, and booleans as 0 or 1). The update command also accepts arguments of the form clear:NAME which delete the named parameter from the account configuration. LIST mc-tool list lists the available accounts. ADD mc-tool add adds an account. The connection manager and protocol can either be given as the name of a Mission Control profile, (e.g. gtalk), or as a slash-separated connection manager name and protocol (e.g. gabble/jabber). DISPLAY mc-tool display ACCOUNT DISPLAY-NAME sets the DisplayName property of ACCOUNT to DISPLAY-NAME. NICK mc-tool nick ACCOUNT NICKNAME sets the Nickname property of ACCOUNT to NICKNAME. SERVICE mc-tool service ACCOUNT SERVICE-NAME sets the Service property of ACCOUNT to SERVICE-NAME. ICON mc-tool icon ACCOUNT ICON sets the Icon property of ACCOUNT to ICON. SHOW mc-tool show ACCOUNT shows information about ACCOUNT. GET mc-tool get ACCOUNT PARAMETER [PARAMETER...] shows the values of the given parameters of ACCOUNT. ENABLE mc-tool enable ACCOUNT sets the Enabled property of ACCOUNT to True. DISABLE mc-tool disable ACCOUNT sets the Enabled property of ACCOUNT to False. AUTO-PRESENCE mc-tool auto-presence ACCOUNT STATUS [MESSAGE] sets the AutomaticPresence property of ACCOUNT to STATUS with optional message MESSAGE. REQUEST mc-tool request ACCOUNT STATUS [MESSAGE] sets the RequestedPresence property of ACCOUNT to STATUS with optional message MESSAGE; this is how you tell an account to connect or go offline, for example. AUTO-CONNECT mc-tool auto-connect ACCOUNT on sets the ConnectAutomatically property of ACCOUNT to True. mc-tool auto-connect ACCOUNT off sets it to False. Telepathy July 2009 MC-TOOL(1)