Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SuSE-11 Ownership of files having root got changed Post 302515943 by funksen on Thursday 21st of April 2011 08:30:01 AM
Old 04-21-2011
is the user test above the root user in /etc/passwd?

maybe you want to post your passwd file

in general it's not recommended to use users with id 0 other than root,
what do you want to achieve with it? tried sudo?

cheers

---------- Post updated at 14:30 ---------- Previous update was at 14:24 ----------

i tried this out:

this order in passwd:

Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
test:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

id as root:

Code:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)

this order in passwd:

Code:
test:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

id again:

Code:
uid=0(test) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)

so simply change the order and you should be fine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in work directory reverting to root ownership

Hi, I have a problem with a Unix server we do not adminster but have an application running on. The problem is that overnight, files in the /user4/work directory revert to root ownership. This causes problems as we cannot process the files. 1) What would be causing files to revert to root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc ownership was changed via chown

Hello all: I have a couple of boxes located in New York, both running SunOS 5.6. I, unfortunately, am located in Pittsburgh and do not have console access to these boxes. A co-worker was attempting to build a user account in one of these boxes, and mistakenly did a: chown username * ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
5 Replies

4. SuSE

root folders group changed in SUSE linux

The group of the /root folder has been changed and then logged out I am not able to log in to the /root user as it is saying Xsession log in not allowed Is there any way that the group of the /root folder be changed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: napster_san
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what impact root gid changed from other to root is?

> id root 0(root) 1(other) From CIS scanning result"it should make sure the root's gid is equal to 0", so I don't know what's the impact for that change to whole system? BTW, why is there a group named other under solaris? what does group "other" do ? Thanks very much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Accidentally Changed File Ownership to Include a "Comment" [AIX]

Hi. I've had a little mishap. To cut a long story short, I've accidentally recursively ran chown on a directory (actually a bunch of 'em). Not a problem in itself, but I had a slight error in the code I used to get the list of directories and ended up with a comment in the file ownership. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root user changed language display

Hi, I was carrying out some simple admin tasks setting up a user, logged in as root when I fumbled on the keyboard. It appears I typed cp * ../user/<esc><esc>I hit return and now the display has set to a strange array of symbols e.g. ¼Ùïõò §ÏÅÎÓÓȧ ãïîîåãôéïî èáó ôåòíéîáôåä I've tried looking at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky492
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Accidentally changed ownership-unable to SSH into server.

Hi All, Accidentally changed ownership of /var directory as root :eek: thinking that I am changing ownership of var directory in other location in the file system:D.Now unable to SSH into the server:(. By gods grace I was able to regain the access again as server was in control of me at that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
5 Replies

10. AIX

Root password changed but old one still works

Hello i am running AIX 6.1. i recently changed the root password using passwd and pwdadm. while the new password works fine, i am still able to login using the old password. is there anyway this can disabled\fixed thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnlsingh
5 Replies
build(1)						      General Commands Manual							  build(1)

NAME
build - build SuSE Linux RPMs in a chroot environment SYNOPSIS
build [--clean|--no-init] [--rpms path1:path2:...] [--arch arch1:arch2:...] [--root buildroot] [specfile|srcrpm] build --help build --verify DESCRIPTION
build is a tool to build SuSE Linux RPMs in a safe and clean way. build will install a minimal SuSE Linux as build system into some direc- tory and will chroot to this system to compile the package. This way you don't risk to corrupt your working system (due to a broken spec file for example), even if the package does not use BuildRoot. build searches the spec file for a BuildRequires: line; if such a line is found, all the specified rpms are installed. Otherwise a selec- tion of default packages are used. Note that build doesn't automatically resolve missing dependencies, so the specified rpms have to be sufficient for the build. If a spec file is specified on the command line, build will use this file and all other files in the directory for building the package. If a srcrpm is specified, build automatically unpacks it for the build. If neither is given, build will use all the specfiles in the current directory. OPTIONS
--clean remove the build system and reinitialize it from scratch. --no-init skip the build system initialization and start with build immediately. --list-state list rpms that would be used to create a fresh build root. Does not create the build root or perform a build. --rpms path1:path2:path3... Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs needed to create the build system. This option overrides the BUILD_RPMS environment vari- able. --arch arch1:arch2:arch3... What architectures to select from the RPMs. build automatically sets this to a sensible value for your host if you don't specify this option. --root buildroot Specifies where the build system is set up. Overrides the BUILD_ROOT enviroment variable. --useusedforbuild Tell build not to do dependency expansion, but to extract the list of packages to install from "# usedforbuild" lines or, if none are found, from all "BuildRequires" lines. This option is useful if you want to re-build a package from a srcrpm with exactly the same packages used for the srcrpm build. --norootforbuild --help Print a short help text. --verify verify the files in an existing build system. .spec FILE OPTIONS The build command interprets some special control comments in the specfile: # norootforbuild # needsrootforbuild build uses either user root or user abuild in the build system to do the build. For non-SUSE distros as well as since SUSE 10.2, the default build user is abuild. For 10.2 and before, the default build user is root. These two flags in the spec file allow to deviate from the defaults and force-set the build user to abuild and root (for # norootforbuild and # needsrootforbuild respec- tively. # needsbinariesforbuild provide the binary rpms that have been used to set up the build root in /.build.binaries within the build root. ENVIRONMENT
BUILD_ROOT The directory where build should install the chrooted build system. "/var/tmp/build-root" is used by default. BUILD_RPMS Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs. build needs them to create the build system. "/media/dvd/suse" is the default value which will do the trick if you have the SuSE Linux DVD mounted. BUILD_RPM_BUILD_STAGE The rpm build stage (-ba, -bb, ...). This is just passed through to rpm, check the rpm manpage for a complete list and descrip- tions. "-ba" is the default. You can use this to add more options to RPM. SEE ALSO
rpm(1), Maximum RPM: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ cross distribution packaging: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to SUSE packaging standards and guidelines: http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging (c) 1997-2008 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany build(1)