Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to improve the performance of parsers in Perl? Post 302515798 by vanitham on Thursday 21st of April 2011 02:08:29 AM
Old 04-21-2011
How to improve the performance of parsers in Perl?

Hi,

I have around one lakh records. I have used XML for the creation of the data.

I have used these 2 Perl modules.

Code:
use XML::DOM; 
use XML::LibXML;

The data will loo like this and most it is textual entries.

Code:
<eid>19000</eid>
<einfo>This is the ..........</einfo>

But i am facing performance issues while creating XML chunk.

For Example: 9000 entries it is around 2 min.

Is there any option available to reduce the time taken and improve the performance of these modules and XML generation?

Is there any caching mechanism available for these modules?

How can i improve the performance and reduce the time taken and provide results in quicker way?

Any suggestions?

Regards
Archana

FYI: A lakh or lac (English pronunciation: /ˈlæk/ lak or /ˈlɑːk/ lahk) is a unit in the Indian numbering system equal to one hundred thousand (100,000).

Last edited by fpmurphy; 04-21-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Add definition of lakh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

improve performance by using ls better than find

Hi , i'm searching for files over many Aix servers with rsh command using this request : find /dir1 -name '*.' -exec ls {} \; and then count them with "wc" but i would improve this search because it's too long and replace directly find with ls command but "ls *. " doesn't work. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve grep performance...

Hi All, I am using grep command to find string "abc" in one file . content of file is *********** abc = xyz def= lmn ************ i have given the below mentioned command to redirect the output to tmp file grep abc file | sort -u | awk '{print #3}' > out_file Then i am searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooga17
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improve Performance

hi someone tell me which ways i can improve disk I/O and system process performance.kindly refer some commands so i can do it on my test machine.thanks, Mazhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to improve performance of this script

I have a data file of 2 gig I need to do all these, but its taking hours, any where i can improve performance, thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/ksh echo TIMESTAMP="$(date +'_%y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S')" function showHelp { cat << EOF >&2 syntax extreme.sh FILENAME Specify filename to parse EOF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve the performance of a shell script

Hi Friends, I wrote the below shell script to generate a report on alert messages recieved on a day. But i for processing around 4500 lines (alerts) the script is taking aorund 30 minutes to process. Please help me to make it faster and improve the performace of the script. i would be very... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to improve the performance of script

Hi All, I have written a script as follows which is taking lot of time in executing/searching only 3500 records taken as input from one file in log file of 12 GB Approximately. Working of script is read the csv file as an input having 2 arguments which are transaction_id,mobile_number and search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

7. Programming

Help with improve the performance of grep

Input file: #content_1 12314345345 242467 #content_14 436677645 576577657 #content_100 3425546 56 #content_12 243254546 1232454 . . Reference file: content_100 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
1 Replies

8. Programming

Perl and XML Parsers

Hi, Am pretty new for perl scripting and confused how to use XML Parser.. I just want to know how to use perl and XML parser.. The scenario is when i execute a command, it will generate a XML file.. From that XML file generated i need to grep for specific term that has HTML TAG say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to improve the performance of this script?

Hi , i wrote a script to convert dates to the formate i want .it works fine but the conversion is tkaing lot of time . Can some one help me tweek this script #!/bin/bash file=$1 ofile=$2 cp $file $ofile mydates=$(grep -Po '+/+/+' $ofile) # gets 8/1/13 mydates=$(echo "$mydates" | sort |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
5 Replies

10. Programming

Improve the performance of my C++ code

Hello, Attached is my very simple C++ code to remove any substrings (DNA sequence) of each other, i.e. any redundant sequence is removed to get unique sequences. Similar to sort | uniq command except there is reverse-complementary for DNA sequence. The program runs well with small dataset, but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies
XML::LibXML::XPathExpression(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   XML::LibXML::XPathExpression(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::XPathExpression - XML::LibXML::XPathExpression - interface to libxml2 pre-compiled XPath expressions SYNOPSIS
use XML::LibXML; my $compiled_xpath = XML::LibXML::XPathExpression->new('//foo[@bar="baz"][position()<4]'); # interface from XML::LibXML::Node my $result = $node->find($compiled_xpath); my @nodes = $node->findnodes($compiled_xpath); my $value = $node->findvalue($compiled_xpath); # interface from XML::LibXML::XPathContext my $result = $xpc->find($compiled_xpath,$node); my @nodes = $xpc->findnodes($compiled_xpath,$node); my $value = $xpc->findvalue($compiled_xpath,$node); $compiled = XML::LibXML::XPathExpression->new( xpath_string ); DESCRIPTION
This is a perl interface to libxml2's pre-compiled XPath expressions. Pre-compiling an XPath expression can give in some performance benefit if the same XPath query is evaluated many times. "XML::LibXML::XPathExpression" objects can be passed to all "find..." functions "XML::LibXML" that expect an XPath expression. new() $compiled = XML::LibXML::XPathExpression->new( xpath_string ); The constructor takes an XPath 1.0 expression as a string and returns an object representing the pre-compiled expressions (the actual data structure is internal to libxml2). AUTHORS
Matt Sergeant, Christian Glahn, Petr Pajas VERSION
2.0110 COPYRIGHT
2001-2007, AxKit.com Ltd. 2002-2006, Christian Glahn. 2006-2009, Petr Pajas. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-02-01 XML::LibXML::XPathExpression(3)