Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings Post 302515764 by 4dirk1 on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 08:43:28 PM
Old 04-20-2011
replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone,

ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file:

RAISEDATTIME
--------------------
DESCRIPTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18-APR-2011 06:20:32
Fatal error in Application GATE:
<Error code: 68
Caught by: CTCS_BatchSchedulerBO.HandleException
Raise by: CTCS_FTOServerBTM.ValidateMessageCount()
Message: For Interface: FTO:1315001 in File : 190107079531.txt
File Message Count Mismatch. File reported count: 447 actual message count 797.>

Is there a possible way to replace the string "kw01" with the txt file contents above?? please help! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and replace txt between two strings in flat file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace strngs in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' news.bestseller='xyz' expected output is books.amazon=NONFOUND news.bestseller=NONFOUND Can I first find the text between string1= books.amazon=' and string2= ' (locate the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiano
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Contents between 2 strings in a file with contens of another file

Please I want to replace all the contents beween "Section" and "Ensection" in file1 with all contents in file2. Example: file1: Section "Screen" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 8 ViewPort 0 0 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" EndSubsection SubSection "Display" Depth... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: powelltallen
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the .txt file between two strings in XML file

Hi i am having XML file with many number of lines,I need to replace between two strings with .txt file using awk. For ex <PersonInfoShipTo ------------------------------ /> My requirement is to replace the content between <PersonInfoShipTo ------------------------------ /> help me. Thanks... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace string with file contents

Hello, I have two files: file1 and file2 file1 has the following info: --- host: "localhost" port: 3000 reporter_type: "zookeeper" zk_hosts: - "localhost:2181" file2 contains an IP address (1.1.1.1) What I want to do is replace localhost with 1.1.1.1, so that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Kah
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies
IXPC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IXPC(1)

NAME
ixpc - ixp client SYNOPSIS
ixpc [-a address] action file ixpc -v DESCRIPTION
Overview ixpc is a client to access a 9P file server from the command line or from shell scripts. It can be used to configure wmii(1). Options -a address Lets you specify the address to which ixpc will establish a connection. If this option is not supplied, and the environment variable IXP_ADDRESS is set, ixpc will use this value as its address. Currently, the address can only be a unix socket file or a tcp socket. The syntax for address is taken (along with many other profound ideas) from the Plan 9 operating system and has the form unix!/path/to/socket for unix socket files, and tcp!hostname!port for tcp sockets. -v Prints version information to stdout, then exits. The syntax of the actions is as follows: write Writes the supplied data from the standard input to file, overwriting any previous data. The data to be written is arbitrary and only gains meaning (and restrictions) when it is interpreted by wmiiwm(1). See EXAMPLES below. xwrite The same as write, but the data is taken from subsequent arguments, rather than the standard input. create Creates file or directory. If the file exists, nothing is done. ls Lists files and directories. read Reads file or directory contents. remove Removes file or directory tree. ENVIRONMENT
IXP_ADDRESS See above. EXAMPLES
ixpc ls / This prints the root directory of the wmii filesystem, if IXP_ADDRESS is set to the address of wmii. For more information about the contents of this filesystem, see wmiiwm(1). ixpc xwrite /ctl quit Write 'quit' to the main control file of the wmii filesystem, effectively leaving wmii. ixpc write /keys < keys.txt Replace the contents of /keys with the contents of keys.txt SEE ALSO
wmii(1) http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/man/5/INDEX.html ixpc-VERSION IXPC(1)