Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK/SED: handle max chars in a line Post 302515685 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 04:25:26 PM
Old 04-20-2011
Please, first verify if you do not have in your input file the octal 251 which is ©.

If you do, then choose another special character that is not in your file.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
typeset -i mLen
mPrevLine=''
tr '\\' '\251' < Inp_File | while read mLine
do
  mLine2=${mPrevLine}${mLine}
  mLen=${#mLine2}
  if [[ ${mLen} -gt 20 ]]; then
    mLine2=$(echo ${mLine2} | sed 's/.$//')
    while [[ ${mLen} -gt 20 ]]; do
      mOutLine=$(echo ${mLine2} | cut -c1-19)
      echo ${mOutLine}'\'
      mLine2=$(echo ${mLine2} | cut -c20-)
      mLen=${#mLine2}
      mPrevLine=${mLine2}
    done
  else
    echo ${mLine2}
    mPrevLine=''
  fi
done | tr '\251' '\\'

This User Gave Thanks to Shell_Life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to handle variables in sed

while read line do str1=`grep 'customernumberR11' file1 | cut -c 20-21` str2=`grep 'newnumberR11' file1 | cut -c 15-16` if ; then sed -e "s/newnumberR11/ s/$str2/\$str1/g" $line fi done < file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAKSHMI NARAYAN
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read logline line by line with awk/sed

Hello, I have a logfile which is in this format: 1211667249500#3265 1211667266687#2875 1211667270781#1828 Is there a way to read the logfile line by line every time I execute the code and put the two numbers in the line in two separate variables? Something like: 1211667249500#3265... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavu88
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - how to insert chars into a line

Hi I'm new to sed, and need to add characters into a specific location of a file, the fileds are tab seperated. text <tab> <tab> text <tab> text EOL I need to add more characters to the line to look like this: text <tab> <tab> newtext <tab> text <tab> text EOL Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangentviper
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk;sed appending line to previous line....

I know this has been asked before but I just can't parse the syntax as explained. I have a set of files that has user information spread out over two lines that I wish to merge into one: User1NameLast User1NameFirst User1Address E-Mail:User1email User2NameLast User2NameFirst User2Address... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: walkerwheeler
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to retrieve max year in column

I am trying to retrieve that max 'year' in a text file that is delimited by tilde (~). It is the second column and the values may be in Char format (double quoted) and have duplicate values. Please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to find max and printing entire line

Hi folks, I am very new to awk. I have what is probably a very simple question. I'm trying to get the max value of column 1, but also print column 2. My data looks like this: 0.044|2000-02-03 14:00:00 5.23|2000-02-03 05:45:00 5.26|2000-02-03 11:15:00 0|2000-02-01 18:30:00 So in this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amandarobe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with special chars line by line

I have a file that includes strings with special characters, eg file1 line: 1 - special 1 line: = 4 line; -3 etc How can I grep the lines of file1 from file2, line by line? I used fgrep and egrep to grep a particular line and worked fine, but when I used: cat file1|while read line;do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)