Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash parameter expansion from a config file Post 302515603 by Corona688 on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 01:16:38 PM
Old 04-20-2011
Quote:
However you did give me an idea which does work (and I think does not have security issues)...
It still has security issues. Anything in $(brackets) or `backticks`, eval will try to execute.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing html tags via parameter expansion

Hi all- I have a variable that contains a web page: echo $STUFF <html> <head> <title>my page</title></head> <body> blah blah etc.. Can I use the shell's parameter expansion abilities to remove just the tags? I thought that FIXHTML=${STUFF//<*>/} might do it, but it didn't seem to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rev66
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with parameter expansion

Say you have this numeric variable that can be set by the user but you never want it to leave a certain range when it gets printed. How could you use parameter expansion such that it will never expand outside of that boundary? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous update... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter expansion not working for all strings...

I'm trying to write a script that parses my music collection and hard link some filenames that my media player doesn't like to other names. To do this I need to extract the name and remove alla non ASCII characters from that and do a cp -l with the result. Problem is this: 22:16:58 $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refuser
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameter Expansion with regular expression

Hello experts, I am exploring parameter expansion, and trying to cut the fields in a URL. Following is the requirement: I have // abc.nnt /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/somefile.java What i need to get is the path after dir3, and dir3 will be passed. output that i need is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjarms
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

I have made the following examples that print various parameter expansions text: iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac (text%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018 (text%%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz (text#*.): d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

#!/bin/bash SNMPW='/usr/bin/snmpwalk' while read h i do loc=$($SNMPW -v3 -u 'Myusername' -l authPriv -a SHA -A 'Password1' -x AES -X 'Password2' $i sysLocation.0 2>/dev/null) loc=${loc:-" is not snmpable."} loc=${loc##*: } loc=${loc//,/} echo "$i,$h,$loc" done < $1 My question is ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumguy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : More parameter expansion and IFS

I am trying to become more fluent with the interworking of bash and minimize the number of external calls. Sample Data. This will be the response of the snmp query. SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: SomeHostName SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.1745... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to Grep second word in config file using parameter?

Currently i am building one script to grep region records in the config file based on parameter and then i am creating a text file with that out put and i am reading the source file path in that out put file now i need to pass one more parameter like module based upon that it has to create a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saranath
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Parameter expansion ${var:-file*}

Example data $ ls *somehost* 10.10.10.10_somehost1.xyz.com.log 11.11.11.11_somehost2.xyz.com.log #!/bin/bash #FILES="*.log" FILES=${FILES:-*.log} for x in $FILES do ip="${x%%_*}" # isolate IP address x="${x##*_}" # isolate hostname hnam="${x%.*}" # Remove the ".log"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
ADDSLASHES(3)								 1							     ADDSLASHES(3)

addslashes - Quote string with slashes

SYNOPSIS
string addslashes (string $str) DESCRIPTION
Returns a string with backslashes before characters that need to be escaped. These characters are single quote ( '), double quote ( "), backslash ( ) and NUL (the NULL byte). An example use of addslashes(3) is when you're entering data into string that is evaluated by PHP. For example, O'Reilly is stored in $str, you need to escape $str. (e.g. eval("echo '".addslashes($str)."';"); ) To escape database parameters, DBMS specific escape function (e.g. mysqli_real_escape_string(3) for MySQL or pg_escape_literal(3), pg_escape_string(3) for PostgreSQL) should be used for security reasons. DBMSes have differect escape specification for identifiers (e.g. Table name, field name) than parameters. Some DBMS such as PostgreSQL provides identifier escape function, pg_escape_identifier(3), but not all DBMS provides identifier escape API. If this is the case, refer to your database system manual for proper escaping method. If your DBMS doesn't have an escape function and the DBMS uses to escape special chars, you might be able to use this function only when this escape method is adequate for your database. Please note that use of addslashes(3) for database parameter escaping can be cause of security issues on most databases. The PHP directive magic_quotes_gpc was on by default before PHP 5.4, and it essentially ran addslashes(3) on all GET, POST, and COOKIE data. Do not use addslashes(3) on strings that have already been escaped with magic_quotes_gpc as you'll then do double escaping. The func- tion get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) may come in handy for checking this. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string to be escaped. RETURN VALUES
Returns the escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 An addslashes(3) example <?php $str = "Is your name O'Reilly?"; // Outputs: Is your name O'Reilly? echo addslashes($str); ?> SEE ALSO
stripcslashes(3), stripslashes(3), addcslashes(3), htmlspecialchars(3), quotemeta(3), get_magic_quotes_gpc(3). PHP Documentation Group ADDSLASHES(3)