Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grepping log files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grepping log files Post 302515483 by devrick0 on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 07:38:27 AM
Old 04-20-2011
awk '/start_string/, /stop_string/' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grepping lines out of files

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a file with about 200 lines in it. I am wanting to set up a Count so that it picks out each line at turn and edits the line. However i am having trouble pulling out the specific line. I have a feeling it will be done somehow by a grep -n but what ever i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the last 30 minutes of a log file...

I need to know if anyone can assist me on how to grab the last (we'll just say "x" minutes) of a log file. How do you tell the grep command without specifying an exact window of time? (So relative instead of absolute.) Thanks, Jon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtelep
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping many values from same files

Hi All, I am having a script in which I am greping some values and storing them from files with .err and .log extensions. I feel I can do it better.But How? Below is my piece of code. oneerrors=`egrep -i -n "one" *.err *.log` twoerrors=`egrep -i -n "two" *.err *.log` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping between files

Hi I have two files File 1 alias HOME =.. alias DATA = ${DATA}/runtime1/test alias SQL = ${DATA}/find1dir/test alias SQL1 = ${HOME}/sql/orcl alias SQL2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping log file

Dear All, I have a log file that is dislpayed as: <msg time='2009-10-14T05:46:42.580+00:00' org_id='oracle' comp_id='tnslsnr' type='UNKNOWN' level='16' host_id='mtdb_a' host_addr='UNKNOWN' version='1'> <txt>14-OCT-2009 05:46:42 *... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-plicit78
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping files and then renaming file

Hi, What is the easiest way to list a directory with 1000s of filenames, grep it for a certain sequence of numbers, and if found to rename the file by the value you are grepping. eg The file I am examining will looks like this: 1234 1224343 2324 244 35665 If I am examining a list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mantis
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping large list of files

Hi All, I need help to know the exact command when I grep large list of files. Either using ls or find command. However I do not want to find in the subdirectories as the number of subdirectories are not fixed. How do I achieve that. I want something like this: find ./ -name "MYFILE*.txt"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Move the files which is coming after grepping

Dear Friends, I am trying to move the files which are listing after greaping command. see the details below 1. When i am running the grep command $ grep -il 'Bufman' *.* fatal.log fatal_info.log it has listed some files now i want to move this files to any another locate so i am... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping only dates from a log file

Hi All, I have a log file where every line contains a date and some other data, i want to grep only the date from every line to a different file. Please help how to get this. Thanks in advance !! (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
25 Replies
XINETD.LOG(5)							File Formats Manual						     XINETD.LOG(5)

NAME
xinetd.log - xinetd service log format DESCRIPTION
A service configuration may specify various degrees of logging when attempts are made to access the service. When logging for a service is enabled, xinetd will generate one-line log entries which have the following format (all entries have a timestamp as a prefix): entry: service-id data The data depends on the entry. Possible entry types include: START generated when a server is started EXIT generated when a server exits FAIL generated when it is not possible to start a server DATA generated when an attempt to start a server fails and the service supports the RECORD log option. USERID generated if the USERID log option is used. NOID generated if the USERID log option is used, and the IDONLY service flag is used, and the remote end does not identify who is trying to access the service. In the following, the information enclosed in brackets appears if the appropriate log option is used. A START entry has the format: START: service-id [pid=%d] [from=%d.%d.%d.%d] An EXIT entry has the format: EXIT: service-id [type=%d] [pid=%d] [duration=%d(sec)] type can be either status or signal. The number is either the exit status or the signal that caused process termination. A FAIL entry has the format: FAIL: service-id reason [from=%d.%d.%d.%d] Possible reasons are: fork a certain number of consecutive fork attempts failed (this number is a configurable parameter) time the time check failed address the address check failed service_limit the allowed number of server instances for this service would be exceeded process_limit a limit on the number of forked processes was specified and it would be exceeded A DATA entry has the format: DATA: service-id data The data logged depends on the service. login remote_user=%s local_user=%s tty=%s exec remote_user=%s verify=status command=%s Possible status values: ok the password was correct failed the password was incorrect baduser no such user shell remote_user=%s local_user=%s command=%s finger received string or EMPTY-LINE A USERID entry has the format: USERID: service-id text The text is the response of the identification daemon at the remote end excluding the port numbers (which are included in the response). A NOID entry has the format: NOID: service-id IP-address reason SEE ALSO
xinetd(1L), xinetd.conf(5) 28 April 1993 XINETD.LOG(5)