Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find longest string and print it Post 302515460 by SEinT on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 06:12:59 AM
Old 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Is this what you're looking for?
Code:
awk '!len || length($1) > len {len=length($1)} END{print len}' file

This is very close. Based on one of the prior code I managed to put together, the final step would be taking this output and using it in the following manner.

Theoretically speaking.
Code:
awk '!len || length($1) > len {len=length($1)} END{print len}' file
result
awk '{if (length($1) == result) print $1}'

I will try this with via a for loop, the final index of len or a pipe once I am awake and let you know what the final code looks like.

Thank you Franklin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find longest phrase

Hi Everyone, I am trying to write a shell script that can find the longest phrase that appears at least twice in an online news article. The HTML has been parsed through an HTML parser, converted to XML and the article content extracted. I have put this article content in a text file to work... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: stargazerr
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find string and and print another string

i have a file that looks like this ABC123 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssffhhh ABC234 EMPTY ABC652 jhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffkkkkkkkkkkkk i want to grep "EMPTY" and print ABC234 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
3 Replies

4. Programming

Find and print number after string in C

I'm trying find and print a number after a specific user passed string in each line of a text file using C (as requested by the powers that be). I've pieced together enough to read the file, find the string and print the line it was found on but I’m not sure where to even start in terms of finding... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgol
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longest length of string in array

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I am trying to write a .sh script in UNIX. I have the following code; User=john User=james User=ian User=martin for x in ${User} do print ${#x} done This produces the following output; 4 5 3 6 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk uniq and longest string of a column as index

I met a challenge to filter ~70 millions of sequence rows and I want using awk with conditions: 1) longest string of each pattern in column 2, ignore any sub-string, as the index; 2) all the unique patterns after 1); 3) print the whole row; input: 1 ABCDEFGHI longest_sequence1 2 ABCDEFGH... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find and print next string

Can I do this in one awk session. Solution I have is poor. I want to return the number after PID. echo "Start: 12345 is used by PID:11111 username" | awk -F: '{print $3}' | awk '{print $1}' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: u20sr
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and print all lines upto another string

Ok I would like to do the following file test contains the following lines. between the lines ABC there may be any amount of lines up to the next ABC entry. I want to grep for the filename.txt entry and print the lines in between (and including that line) up to and including the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse the longest matching string

Hello experts, I am trying to unscramble a mixed signal into component signals. Let the list of known signals be $ cat tmplist DU DU4016 GFF GFF2010 GFF201019 G2115 G211 DU40 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senhia83
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace substring by longest string in common field (awk)

Hi, Let's say I have a pipe-separated input like so: name_10|A|BCCC|cat_1 name_11|B|DE|cat_2 name_10|A|BC|cat_3 name_11|B|DEEEEEE|cat_4 Using awk, for records with common field 2, I am trying to replace all the shortest substrings by the longest string in field 3. In order to get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
NPRINT(1)							      nprint								 NPRINT(1)

NAME
nprint - NetWare print client SYNOPSIS
nprint [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U username | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queuename ] [ -d job-description ] [ -p pathname-in-banner ] [ -B username-in- banner ] [ -s ] [ -f filename-in-banner ] [ -l lines ] [ -r rows ] [ -c copies ] [ -t tab size ] [ -T ] [ -N ] [ -F form-number ] filename DESCRIPTION
With nprint, you can print files on print queues of a NetWare file server. There are a lot of options, so you should probably wrap some default configurations into some shell scripts. nprint looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
filename filename is the name of the file you want to print. If file is '-', or no filename is given, standard input is used. -h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U username username is the user name to use for the print request at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print request at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connec- tion to the server, nprint prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the print request. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queuename queuename is the name of the print queue to use at the print server. At present, you must specify it in upper case characters. -d job-description job-description is the string that appears in pconsole when you list the jobs for the print queue. It will also appear in the "Descrip- tion" field on the banner page. -p pathname-in-banner pathname-in-banner is the string (up to 79 characters) you want to be printed in the "Directory" field on the banner page. -B username-in-banner username-in-banner is the string (up to 12 characters) you want to appear on the lower part of the banner page. It will also appear in the "User name" field. -s Supress printing of banner page -f filename-in-banner filename-in-banner is the string (up to 12 characters) you want to appear in large letters on the lower part of the banner page. Default: the name of the file that is printed, or 'stdin'. -l lines lines is the number of lines to put on one page. Default: 66. -r rows rows is the number of rows to put on one page. Default: 80. -c copies copies tells the print server to the specified number of copies. Default: 1. -t tabs tabs is the number of spaces to print for a Tab-Character. Default: 8. -T tells the print server to expand Tab-Character and use 8 spaces -N tells the print server not to use Form Feeds -F form-number form-number is the the number of the form to be put into the printer. If it's different from the one currently in the printer, your job is only printed if a printer operator has put in the correct form. NOTES
The '-B' option was formerly '-b'. But it conflicted with 'bindery only' login option. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
nprint was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) nprint 12/27/1995 NPRINT(1)