Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Saving files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Saving files Post 302515397 by zaxxon on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 03:52:18 AM
Old 04-20-2011
Would it work to just copy them with cp -p? If a rm did not do what you wanted, maybe a mv could be more close.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving a vi session

Apologies if this isn't quite the right thread I have a vi session and I have set a lot of tags with 'mx'. can I save this session preserving these tags so when I go back to the session I don't have to reset them all? cheers (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab keeps saving empty files of the job file.

Hey, MAILTO=cron@domain.ca */20 * * * * /usr/bin/wget http://list.domain.ca/admin/consume.php >/dev/nullthats what the crontab is setup todo, so basically every 20minutes it runs consume.php In my root directory, i'm getting files like this: consume.php consume.php1 consume.php2 i woke... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iarp
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving or writing files in unicode - IS0-8859-5

Hi, I have problems in saving/writing files that contains Unicode characters - to be specific ISO-8859-5. The source file contains correct Unicode characters, should I add specific unix scripts before writing the said file? Many thanks, ahrong09 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahrong09
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursive saving of files and folders

Hi all I have a bash script, that loops through a folders files and all subfolders for .shtml files. It looks for a string and replaces it, creating a backup of the original file. This all works great, but I'd like, when the backup is done, that the files are then also created in their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrid
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Silly question-how i refer to the current directory when saving files

I want to save a bunch of files to a folder in my current directory. Ho do i refer to my current directory without writing all the path? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with combining, sorting and saving multi files into one new file

Good morning. I have a piece of code that is currently taking multiple files and using the CAT.exe command to combine into one file that is then sorted in reverse order based on the 3rd field of the file, then displayed on screen. I am trying to change this so that the files are being combined into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaacmmason
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing txt file, saving graphics files

hi everyone, i am a newbie in shell programming. and i want to simply go through a text file that contains 3 "columns", split by ';' customerID ; link-to-contract ; save-as-filename so an example would simply look like this now i want to loop through every line, and save the file from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Confidence
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each line and saving the line in separate files

Hi Experts, I am having a requirement like this; Input file EIM_ACCT.ifb|1001|1005 EIM_ADDR.ifb|1002|1004 EIM_ABD.ifb|1009|1007 I want to read each line of this file and pass each line,one at a time,as an argument to another script. eg; 1.read first line->store it to a file->call... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishpanchal85
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input not saving correctly in both files

If the user inputs two variants separated by a comma, the below command is supposed to write both variants to the GJ-53.txt and then to out.txt. Both are written to the GJ-53.txt, however only one is written to out.txt and I'm not sure why. Thank you :). gjb2() { printf "\n\n" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)