Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting a .csv using awk or other Post 302515286 by dunnybocter on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 04:56:14 PM
Old 04-19-2011
Not yet, but likely tomorrow. Since I am most comfortable with awk I will probably start there. Thx again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sorting

Hi, I have used the following code to sort two sets of data: awk '{printf "%10s %s\n",$1,$2}' The first column is text and the second involves numbers. I was just wondering how i would go about sorting the second number so that they ascend from the top? Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help sorting .csv file

Hi, I have a .csv file which contains script names, subjects and email_addresses The first two colums are always script name and subject, the next 20 colums are email address.. What i want to do is sort the email address in alphabetical order for each row and there's around 1200 rows. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting csv file based on column selected

Hi all, in my csv file it'll look like this, and of course it may have more columns US to UK;abc-hq-jcl;multimedia UK to CN;def-ny-jkl;standard DE to DM;abc-ab-klm;critical FD to YM;la-yr-tym;standard HY to MC;la-yr-ytm;multimedia GT to KJ;def-ny-jrt;critical I would like to group... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

UNIX sorting - csv file

Hi, Please help me to solve sorting in CSV file. I have 25 columns in my CSV. (Delimiter is ",") Summary columns are from 10 to 13 which are should not be sorted. From 1-9 and 14-25 should be able to sort in ascending. how should i do this using Sort command in unix. If no simple commands pls... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajani_p
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a routine for sorting a CSV file

Hi, I have a CSV file in following manner: server1,env1,patch1 server1,env1,patch2 server1,env1,patch3 server1,env2,patch1 server1,env2,patch3 server2,env3,patch1 server2,env3,patch5 server2,env4,patch1 server3,env6,patch1 server3,env7,patch2 server3,env7,patch3 I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avikaljain
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv

Hi Fellows, I have been struggling to fix an issue in csv records to compose sql statements and have been really losing sleep over it. Here is the problem: I have csv files in the following pipe-delimited format: Column1|Column2|Column3|Column4|NEWLINE Address Type|some descriptive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khayal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read column csv and search in other csv

hi, someone to know how can i read a specific column of csv file and search the value in other csv columns if exist the value in the second csv copy entire row with all field in a new csv file. i suppose that its possible using awk but i m not expertise thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giankan
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV Sorting on only particular columns

Hello! So ive been presented with this comma-delimited file: I need a print to look as below " lastname, phone_number, zip for every person with a last name starting with the letter H, I only with a 650-area code phone number. output should be sorted by reverse ZIP code " I only have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strangemachine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the csv file in Perl

Hi All How all are doing today. Just struck in an issue in Perl I have a csv file which contain 32 column, I want to make sorting in that csv file with respect to 26th column. Is it possible to do so without any module being added? Regards Aditya ---------- Post updated at 10:02 AM... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a CSV file by DOB

I have absolutaly no idea how to get this script to sort the info in Birthdays.csv by date of birth. I know the sort -n command, however i wish to sort the file birthdays.csv by DOB. How would i go about doing this? The below script gets user info and date of birth and then puts these info a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redshine6
3 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)