Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening Post 302515235 by jake24 on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 02:19:51 PM
Old 04-19-2011
I am trying to set TCP_MD5SIG option. I am trying this on an application running on the Linux kernel 2.5.25 which has support for this option. When my application is configured via the console to set an MD5 password for a peer, it is set on the listen socket. This is as per the usage of this option on Linux.
But in another task, the same socket is polled continuously for incoming connection requests via select(), accept(). So, is it correct to do so?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

socket options

Hello there The socket option IP_OPTIONS returns an integer value, supposed to be the contents of the IP header. Could you please help me out to interpret those values. ThankYou. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hufs375
1 Replies

2. Programming

socket problems with cc compile options???

Hi there, a newbie as far as compiling c. I have a problem, I've ported a fairly simple perl socket program over to c. I compiled it as follows cc simplesocket.c -lsocket -lnsl compiles great, no errors. When I launch it from the command line, it works great!!!! However, if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: googling2000
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking who is listening on a Unix Domain Socket

Hi all, I'm writing a kernel module and part of it involves controlling IPCs between processes. My problem is when a process tries to connect to a Unix domain socket, the only identifying information of the socket it supplies (that I can see, anyway) is the special pathname of the socket. From... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blank87
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

5. Programming

which socket should socket option on be set

Hi all, On the server side, one socket is used for listening, the others are used for communicating with the client. My question is: if i want to set option for socket, which socket should be set on? If either can be set, what's the different? Again, what's the different if set option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blademan100
1 Replies

6. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

7. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Socket options

Hi everyone, Question for gurus: Is there a way for us to determine the options used by a socket? I basically want to know if SO_KEEPALIVE is enabled on a socket to know if the tcp_keepalive_abort_interval parameter will be used by that connection. Was I clear enough? :confused: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL5.5 Socket Timeout Setting

Is there a Linux tunable to reduce the amount of time a socket waits before considering the remote side dead? Its the same senario when you try to telnet to a dead machine, telnet sits and waits for ~30seconds, before the socket timer expires and cancels the request. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is my Socket Free or Listening

Hi, bash-3.2$ uname -a Linux mymac 2.6.18-409.el5 #1 SMP Fri Feb 12 06:37:28 EST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux bash-3.2$ telnet 10.12.228.40 13900 Trying 10.12.228.40... telnet: connect to address 10.12.228.40: Connection refused bash-3.2$ telnet 10.12.228.40 23900 Trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
accept(3XNET)					   X/Open Networking Services Library Functions 				     accept(3XNET)

NAME
accept - accept a new connection on a socket SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lxnet [ library ... ] #include <sys/socket.h> int accept(int socket, struct sockaddr *restrict address, socklen_t *restrict address_len); DESCRIPTION
The accept() function extracts the first connection on the queue of pending connections, creates a new socket with the same socket type protocol and address family as the specified socket, and allocates a new file descriptor for that socket. The function takes the following arguments: socket Specifies a socket that was created with socket(3XNET), has been bound to an address with bind(3XNET), and has issued a suc- cessful call to listen(3XNET). address Either a null pointer, or a pointer to a sockaddr structure where the address of the connecting socket will be returned. address_len Points to a socklen_t which on input specifies the length of the supplied sockaddr structure, and on output specifies the length of the stored address. If address is not a null pointer, the address of the peer for the accepted connection is stored in the sockaddr structure pointed to by address, and the length of this address is stored in the object pointed to by address_len. If the actual length of the address is greater than the length of the supplied sockaddr structure, the stored address will be truncated. If the protocol permits connections by unbound clients, and the peer is not bound, then the value stored in the object pointed to by address is unspecified. If the listen queue is empty of connection requests and O_NONBLOCK is not set on the file descriptor for the socket, accept() will block until a connection is present. If the listen(3XNET) queue is empty of connection requests and O_NONBLOCK is set on the file descriptor for the socket, accept() will fail and set errno to EAGAIN or EWOULDBLOCK. The accepted socket cannot itself accept more connections. The original socket remains open and can accept more connections. USAGE
When a connection is available, select(3C) will indicate that the file descriptor for the socket is ready for reading. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, accept() returns the nonnegative file descriptor of the accepted socket. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The accept() function will fail if: EAGAIN O_NONBLOCK is set for the socket file descriptor and no connections are present to be accepted. EWOULDBLOCK EBADF The socket argument is not a valid file descriptor. ECONNABORTED A connection has been aborted. EFAULT The address or address_len parameter can not be accessed or written. EINTR The accept() function was interrupted by a signal that was caught before a valid connection arrived. EINVAL The socket is not accepting connections. EMFILE OPEN_MAX file descriptors are currently open in the calling process. ENFILE The maximum number of file descriptors in the system are already open. ENOTSOCK The socket argument does not refer to a socket. EOPNOTSUPP The socket type of the specified socket does not support accepting connections. The accept() function may fail if: ENOBUFS No buffer space is available. ENOMEM There was insufficient memory available to complete the operation. ENOSR There was insufficient STREAMS resources available to complete the operation. EPROTO A protocol error has occurred; for example, the STREAMS protocol stack has not been initialized. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bind(3XNET), connect(3XNET), listen(3XNET), socket(3XNET), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2003 accept(3XNET)