Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file and replacing char by position Post 302515208 by Shell_Life on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 11:37:19 AM
Old 04-19-2011
See if this works for you:
Code:
sed 's/.\{255\}/&YourString/' Inp_File

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing all 4 first upper char of every rec to lowercase ?

I have a file where some records have been updated the wrong way and need to fix it quickly since the amount can be alot. Every record where any of the first 4 characters are in upper case need to be changed to lowercase. Records can have '#' in position-1 for comments. These musn't be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

2. Programming

replacing char with string

how we can replace char with a string example char *a="a.s" so finally what i ant to do raplace a with ant and s sree so in my array a i want to store the value as "ant.sree" thank u in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a position in a file

Hi I'm trying to use awk in a file(test123.dat). My requirement is to to check for the 65th position, if the 65th position is a space then replace the 65th position by the number 9. This is the code that i used: awk '{substr($0,65,1) ~ / / }{sub(substr($0,65,1),"9")}{print}' test123.dat ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelarosh
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing one Char in a string of variable length

Hi all, I am trying to find the best way of making a change to 1 char in a string, the string can be between 1 and 14 characters. I am reading a line in from a file which contains 012341231231:2:102939283:NNN: Require :NBN: 012838238232:3:372932:NNN: Require :NNB: I need to change 1 N or a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: list files with 1rst col=N and char position 123=N

I need to list all files where 1rst column=ABK and char position 123 to 125=ZBK: For the first part I can I can do a awk '{$1="ABK";print}' file and for the second a cut -c123-125 file | grep ZBK but this would only work partially.. How can I do this with only one awk command ? Thanks in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabrao
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading Un Printable char in Filter

hi, i have a file with delimiter "þ" . how to read these delimiters filters like AWK and cut..:wall: Thanks, Soma (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: challamsomu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing char in filename scripts fails

Hi I'm trying to remove what I "think" is a bad character. How I got the bad character is when I downloaded jpgs onto my PC and then renamed the files using windows explorer. In cygwin, the files look like $ dir -l total 7840 ----------+ 1 None 3647968 Jul 21 08:41 2012-07-21\ (1).JPG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SailingDreams
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert carriage return on the 10th char position of each line

Hi experts, Need your help on how to insert carriage return after the 10th char position of each line in a file and then add two blank spaces after the carriage return. Example: >cat test.txt testingline dummystring samplesample teststringline Expected output should be.. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing multiple special chars with single char

Hi I've a string . And i need to replace set of characters with a single character Means .. or . or ... and so on should be replaced with single % character Irrespective of number of dots in between the characters , those should be replaced with single % All the above strings should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing a char

Hello All, I have a file as below . I want to convert the Y with numbers to H From 4, M11, P2521759, Y75,Y70,Y105,Y110,Y700,Y815,Y830,Y900,Y162,Y300, Y291,Y290,Y15,Y20, MR2716014,MR2617014, Yesterday,current 1,201012, 102032,1 11112,0 to 4, M11, P2521759,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)