Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash regex
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash regex Post 302514775 by kerloi on Monday 18th of April 2011 03:18:37 AM
Old 04-18-2011
Thanks all for your replies and for your explainations alister. But it is still not working with the bash only syntaxe :
Code:
${VAR#<*>}

My bash version is : GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu) I know that bash is currently on version 4.X so ...

But panyam an kurumi's solutions works great.
Thanks a lot to all of you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex test in bash

Hi I want to do a regex test and branch based on the test result, but this doesn't seems to work :confused: if \) ]] then echo success else echo failed fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash regex =~ case insensetive, possible?

It can get very annoying that bash regex =~ is case-sensetive, is there a way to set it to be case-insensetive? if ]; then echo match else echo no match fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string replacement - how to use regex?

Hello I have a bash script where I need to do a substring replacement like this: variable2=${variable1/foo/bar} However, I only want "foo" replaced if it is at the end of the line. However, this does not work: variable2=${variable1/foo$/bar} as you can see I'm using the $ regex for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ubuntu-UK
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Allow name with spaces (regex)

Hey all, I have a very simple regular expression that I use when I want to allow only letters with spaces. (I know this regex has a lot of shortcomings, but I'm still trying to learn them) isAlpha='^*$'However, when I bring this over to BASH it doesn't allow me to enter spaces. I use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash regex help

I've been using the following regex below in a bash script on RHEL 5.5 using version GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release I've tried using the script on RHEL 6.3 which uses GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1)-release I assume there's been alot of changes to bash since that's quite a jump in revisions.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi im new to bash scripting I want to know what does the regex expression do ??

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Regex for bash

Hi, I am trying to match this word: hexagon-bx.mydomain.com with regex. I have tried this: "\.*]*$" So far I have not been successful. I also need to make sure that the regex will match words that just have lowercase letters and numbers in them, such as camera01. How can I create such an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex for (a|b) in bash

I am trying to find files using the following by using simple bash script: if -2014 ]]; then echo "yes";fi What I need to find are any files with date 08-**-2014 so August 2014 any files. I can use if -2014 ]]; then echo "yes";fi That works fine. How do I get files beginning with 08... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash regex evaluation not workin

I'm building a script that may received start and end date as parameters. I whant to make it as flexible as possible so I'm accepting epoch and date in a way that "date --date=" command may accept. In order to know if parameter provided is an epoc or a "date --date=" string I evaluate if the value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using RegEx with variable within bash if [[ ]]

I stumbled upon a problem, which I simplified to this: There is a list of numbers, stored in variable $LIST, lets use `seq 5 25` for demonstration. There is a number that should be compared against this list. For demonstration I use user input - read VALUE I am trying to compare RegEx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorbeg
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)