Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash script - Grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script - Grep Post 302514603 by jboy on Sunday 17th of April 2011 03:09:52 AM
Old 04-17-2011
Bash script - Grep

Hi,

I am very new to bash scripting and I need to write a bash script that takes two arguments, a string and a file. The output should be each line which matches the string *from the beginning of the line*. For example, given a string "ANA" the line starting with "ANABEL" will be printed, but the line starting with "SUSANA" will not. I need to use grep.

what I have tried is as follows:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
grep $1 $2

But this doesn't work, any help or direction will be very help, thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script (using find and grep)

I'm trying to make a simple search script but cannot get it right. The script should search for keywords inside files. Then return the file paths in a variable. (Each file path separated with \n). #!/bin/bash SEARCHQUERY="searchword1 searchword2 searchword3"; for WORD in $SEARCHQUERY do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep and read function in a BASH Script

I'm putting together a script that will search my mail archives for emails that meet certain criteria and output the files to a text file. I can manually cat that text file and pipe it into sendmail and it will work (i.e. cat /pathtofile/foo.txt | sendmail -t me@company.com) My script sends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using grep in bash script

When it comes to programing and UNIX, I know just enough to be really really dangerous. I have written a python script to parse through a file that contains ~1 million lines. Depending on whether a certain string is matched, the line is copied into a particular file. For the sake of brevity,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: errcricket
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep in bash script

Hi Experts, I'm writing script to find out last files and its modified date - unfortunately am having problem with the below script. Error message: "grep: sales.txt: No such file or directory" #!/bin/bash var=1 var1=`awk '{n++} END {print n}' sales.txt` while ] do prod=$var... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep in a loop using a bash script?

Dear all, Please help with the following. I have a file, let's call it data.txt, that has 3 columns and approx 700,000 lines, and looks like this: rs1234 A C rs1236 T G rs2345 G T Please use code tags as required by forum rules! I have a second file, called reference.txt,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aberg
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages?

I am wondering if there is a script (if one exists, not confident in my own scripting ability) that is able to bring up specified information from the /var/log/messages. I need to show logged traffic on specific dates and times and protocols (ie. Show all insecure FTP traffic (most likely via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgplayer54
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Need help with grep

Hi, I want to write a bash that can turn an application on if it is off or on if it is off. I found a script for LibreELEC, but my OS is OSMC (a Linux distribution, too). I already modiefied lines 5 and 7: #!/bin/sh SERVICE='hyperiond' if ps | grep -v grep | grep $SERVICE > /dev/null then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chuchu211
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux