Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logging in unix account taking password from a parameter file Post 302514585 by pkbond on Saturday 16th of April 2011 11:38:22 PM
Old 04-17-2011
Logging in unix account taking password from a parameter file

Hi All,

I am writing a script where it updates a file in an unix account.
To update that file i need to be logged in as that account user.

say account name is ab01 and its password is passab01.

What i want to do is, my script should read login id and password from a parameter file and login to that environment.

Parameter file

ab01 passab01
ab02 passab02
ab03 passab03
.... and so on

before running script
server1:/home/oper/pkbond> id
uid=121(pkbond) gid=101(oper)

after running script
server1:/home/oper/ab01> id
uid=121(ab01) gid=101(oper)

Please help

Thanks in Advance Smilie

Regards,
pkbond

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not taking password for su on mac os x

Hello, I can't install matlab on my new mac os X because I am not logged in as a superuser. I type su root and it doesn't take my password. It just says sorry. Is there a way to just reset it? Thanks, Z (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zitz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to update my account password on 100 unix server ?

Hi We have over 100 unix servers. They include linux,solaris,aix,hp and sgi. I use telnet for some and ssh for rest. Note: none of this server has expect which i can use to update.So i am looking for expert who can help me with their script or guide me write KSH script to automate this. Thank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaurtum
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute via crontab taking username/password from file

Dear All Here is the details what i want to achieve from shell scripts I have a sever where 5 databases are created. which i having diffrent SID's. Now i want to execute some SQL queries on each one of the databases. (SQL Query is same).That i want to acheive via crontab Now each one of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User account logging

Hi - I want to log commands typed by oraapps user with time into some log file on runtime. HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " works but any one with oraapps user can delete the history. OS : RHEl 5.6 Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQLPLUS Password Parameter file being used when logging in

Good day to everyone. This is my first time posting and just barely above basic Unix training. I think i have search thoroughly to ensure my question hasn't already been posted. But on the off chance the answer has been posted, please be nice as I am not 100% sure I know what I am looking for. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mrjester
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking mirror copy of the application id and password into the new UNIX machine

I am working in Datastage Migration project. The applications has to be moved from legacy machines to the new machines. all the applications will be having their own application id and password (non expiry) created in the unix (5.3). Now the scripts and the datastage applications has to be moved... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar file with logging and directory via parameter

Hi all, I am fairly new to shell scripting and I am trying the following: My shell script creates a tar file with files with the ending ~. The directory - where the files and sub directories are located - comes as a parameter when I call the script. Files that are archived will be written in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neg42
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the two parameter from text file in UNIX.

Hi there, In my attachment there is 'Category/Subcategory' & 'Setting'. var=$(awk '/^Logon\/Logoff/ {P=0} P {print $0} FNR==1{printf("From file %s:\n", FILENAME)} /^System/ {P=1}' $file |grep -ia "IPsec Driver" );echo $var As of now I am able to From File: Policies.txt IPsec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging in to 100 server to test my account

I have been logging to 100 server everyday to test if I can login to the server. I created a script to ssh-copy-id to every host so next time it will be password less. Now it keeps prompting me Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes This is normal for first time login.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies
qmail-getpw(8)                                                System Manager's Manual                                               qmail-getpw(8)

NAME
qmail-getpw - give addresses to users SYNOPSIS
qmail-getpw local DESCRIPTION
In qmail, each user controls a vast array of local addresses. qmail-getpw finds the user that controls a particular address, local. It prints six pieces of information, each terminated by NUL: user; uid; gid; homedir; dash; and ext. The user's account name is user; the user's uid and gid in decimal are uid and gid; the user's home directory is homedir; and messages to local will be handled by home- dir/.qmaildashext. In case of trouble, qmail-getpw exits nonzero without printing anything. WARNING: The operating system's getpwnam function, which is at the heart of qmail-getpw, is inherently unreliable: it fails to distinguish between temporary errors and nonexistent users. Future versions of getpwnam should return ETXTBSY to indicate temporary errors and ESRCH to indicate nonexistent users. RULES
qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd to be a user if (1) the account has a nonzero uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is visible to qmail-getpw), and (3) the account owns its home directory. qmail-getpw ignores account names containing uppercase let- ters. qmail-getpw also assumes that all account names are shorter than 32 characters. qmail-getpw gives each user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. When local is user, dash and ext are both empty. When local is user-anything, dash is a hyphen and ext is anything. user may appear in any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters at the front of local. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. In this case ext is local and dash is a hyphen. You can override all of qmail-getpw's decisions with the qmail-users mechanism, which is reliable, highly configurable, and much faster than qmail-getpw. SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-getpw(8)