Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting Directory From Path Post 302514484 by Drayol on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:05:33 PM
Old 04-15-2011
Thanks a lot both of you Smilie Got it now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a field from directory path ??????

Hi I'll be getting a directory path as the input to the script. E.g. 1 abc/fsg/sdfhgsa/fasgfsd/adfghad/XXX/fhsad e.g. 2 sadfg/sadgjhgds/sd/dtuc/cghcx/dtyue/dfghsdd/XXX/qytq This input will be stored in a variable. My query is how to extract the field in a variable VAR which occurs... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting file name from path

if I have a variable value "filetoprocess" equal to "/aaa/bbb/ccc" How can I simply extract the file name of "ccc" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ytakbob
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting parts from an absolute path

Hi, How can I extract parts from an absolute path? For example : The absolute path is /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5.I need the relative path starting with directory given as parameter : for instance if the parameter is dir3 then the result should be dir3/dir4/dir5 I need generic solution... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mortanon
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk for extracting directory from file path

Hi, I have following path: set file_path = D:/forums/prac/somedir/new1/file1.txt or set file_path = E:/new/forums1/prac/somedir/new2/file2.txt I need to grep "somedir" from file path. In this case preceding directory "prac" remains same for both the paths, but directories preceding... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting directory portion.

Dear Experts, I have some directory structure something like follows. I would like to cut portion of it. Would you please help me? I have to run this on several sql's. The directory path is dynamic. I have cut what comes after first "sql" string. Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
CHOWN(3)								 1								  CHOWN(3)

chown - Changes file owner

SYNOPSIS
bool chown (string $filename, mixed $user) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the owner of the file $filename to user $user. Only the superuser may change the owner of a file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $user - A user name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple chown(3) usage <?php // File name and username to use $file_name= "foo.php"; $path = "/home/sites/php.net/public_html/sandbox/" . $file_name ; $user_name = "root"; // Set the user chown($path, $user_name); // Check the result $stat = stat($path); print_r(posix_getpwuid($stat['uid'])); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => root [passwd] => x [uid] => 0 [gid] => 0 [gecos] => root [dir] => /root [shell] => /bin/bash ) NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chmod(3), chgrp(3). PHP Documentation Group CHOWN(3)