Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .bash_history modification
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users .bash_history modification Post 302514457 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of April 2011 06:03:10 PM
Old 04-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendany83
Thanks for your quick reply, in fact i followed the below commands but it is giving effect only with #history command but it didn't modify the .bash_history file. Any comments?
.bash_history isn't updated at all until you quit your shell.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

Question for all sysadmins. How do you keep track of what commands each user uses on his account. I thought an easy way is to monitor .bash_history, however those files can be "edited" by the user. Is there a permission combination that will allow the shell to record to it but yet they can't edit... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change .bash_history to another one

we need the help to change .bash_histroy file in root ,(i.e) we want to save the histroy for .temp.txt for permenently. how to do?? Help us (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

During the course of the session before I logout I see some of the commands listed from my previous session but not from my current session and after I logout and log back in I see the commands which I ran before logging out. Does the .bash_history stay in the buffer or someplace else then? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_history

Dear All, I am creating users on our servers. the .bash_history supposed to store all the commands entered by the user. My question is, how can I prevent the user himself from editing or viewing this file? I have tried chaning the owner of the .bash_history to be the root user but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel.n.s
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for File Modification

Hi All, I have a file disk_space.log. cat disk_space.log 94% / 32% /boot 38% /mnt/data 100% /media/CDROM I want the output, like cat disk_space.log 94% / 100% /media/CDROM That means print the line those are grater-than 90%. And rest of the line is remove from file. I have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to store time in .bash_history file

Hi - user commands are written in . bash_history of that user when he logs out. my bash_history file shows. not sure what that number means #1329618972 ls -la #1329618978 ls #1329618980 ls -la my bash_profile looks like this PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export PATH export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Bansal
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display .bash_history with timestamp using script

Hi would like to ask if there is anyway to display .bash_history with timestamp using shell script? i know that you should use history command with HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " to display it in terminal but it does not work when i use it on shell script. It seem that you can't run history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pikamon
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

cp modification

I'm usia Raspbian, a Debian subset, and wondering what work would be involved in altering the cp command. cp at present needs a full path and file name for source and at least full filename for destination. How can I change this so the second parameter isn't needed? So if the destination... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
6 Replies
DM_DATE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						DM_DATE(1)

NAME
dm_date - print out the system date and time SYNOPSIS
This performs the same operation as the unix 'date' command, but using the Date::Manip module. dm_date [OPTION]... [+FORMAT] DESCRIPTION
This displays information about the current system time, or some other time. Options are: -h, --help Print online help. -d STRING, --date=STRING Display time described by STRING. STRING can be any string which can be parsed by Date::Manip. Please refer to the Date::Manip::Date documentation for details. -f DATEFILE, --file=DATEFILE This reads each line in DATEFILE, and extracts a date from it and prints out the information. Blank lines and lines starting with a pound (#) are ignored. Lines not containing a valid date are also ignored. -r FILE, --reference=FILE Displays the last modification time of FILE. -R, --rfc-2822 Displayc the date and time in RFC 2822 format. Example: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:34:56 -0600 -u, --utc, --universal Converts the date to UT (GMT) and prints out the information. Only one of -d, -f, or -r should be included. If more than one is included, the first one from the list (-d, -f, -r) is used and any other is ignored. The format string starts with a plus (+) and contains any of the format directives described in Date::Manip::Date. KNOWN BUGS
None known. BUGS AND QUESTIONS
Please refer to the Date::Manip::Problems documentation for information on submitting bug reports or questions to the author. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip::Date LICENSE
This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 DM_DATE(1)