Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu does ddrescue or dd has capability to update the content of an image file Post 302514443 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of April 2011 05:06:43 PM
Old 04-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jao_madn
Hi

I would like to ask about the ddrescue or dd command imaging tool. is dd or ddrescue has a capability to update the created image so that i would not create a new image again if i want run the dd or ddrescue again. or if i will place it in the schedule task..
If I get your meaning, dd doesn't magically know which blocks have changed so it can update only those blocks, no. You have to copy the whole disk again.

What more efficient tools are available for your needs depends on your system and your configuration.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

Jumpstart Question: Update Image?

Hi everyone, We have a T5240 and noticed we were having issues booting the system using our jumpstart server (it seems as though we don't have the correct drivers for the nxge NIC) We thought we needed to update our jumpstart server image 9/10 Solaris SPARC image. Now I'm still learning... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
4 Replies
atari-hd-image(1)						 Hatari utilities						 atari-hd-image(1)

NAME
atari-hd-image - tool for creating a harddisk image for use with Hatari SYNOPSIS
atari-hd-image size [filename] [partition name] [directory] DESCRIPTION
Create an ACSI/IDE harddisk image for Hatari with a single Atari compatible DOS partition (using sfdisk, mkdosfs and dd). OPTIONS
size Harddisk image size in megabytes, 8-256 filename Name for the harddisk image (default: hd.img) partition name Name for the single partition (default: DOS) directory directory for initial content copied to the image EXAMPLES
16MB 'hd.img' HD image: atari-hd-image 16 8MB image with partition named 'TEST', and files from content/: atari-hd-image 8 8mb-disk.img TEST content/ SEE ALSO
hmsa(1), zip2st(1), hatari(1), mkdosfs(1), sfdisk(1), dd(1) AUTHOR
Written by Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet fi>. This manual page was written by Teemu Hukkanen <tjhukkan@iki.fi> for the Debian project and later modified by Eero Tamminen to suit the latest version of Hatari. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. NO WARRANTY
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. Hatari 2010-11-21 atari-hd-image(1)