Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Two files; if cells match then copy over other columns Post 302514385 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of April 2011 02:25:27 PM
Old 04-15-2011
I don't know why that didn't work, it should have. Maybe you put the redirection inside the awk script instead of outside?

Maybe it's clearer to move the redirection in front for a long awk script like that:

Code:
<inputfile >outputfile awk '{

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match strings in two files and compare columns of both

Good Morning, I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to achieve the following, preferably with a little commenting for understanding. I have 2 files, each with multiple rows with multiple columns. I need to find each row where the value in column 1 of file 1 matches column 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns several files

Hey fellas! Here come my problem. I appreciate if you have a look at it. I have several files with following structure: file_1:1 21 4 45 file_2:2 31 4 153 6 341 and so on... and I have a 'reference' file look like this: File_ref:A 1 B 2 C 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match files based on either of the two columns awk

Dear Shell experts, I have 2 files with structure: File 1: ID and count head test_GI_count1.txt 1000094 2 10039307 1 10039641 1 10047177 11 10047359 1 1008555 2 10120302 1 10120672 13 10121776 1 10121865 32 And 2nd file: head Protein_gi_GeneID_symbol.txt protein_gi GeneID... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitra
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match two columns from two files and print output

Hello, I have two files which are of the following format File 1 which has two columns Protein_ID Substitution NP_997239 T53R NP_060668 V267M NP_058515 P856A NP_001206 T55M NP_006601 D371Y ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the columns between 2 files

I have two files I want to match ids in the 5th column of the file 1 with the first column of the file 2 and get the description for the matched ids as shown in the output sno nm no nm2 ID 1 cc 574372 yyyi |6810|51234| 2 bb 119721 nmjk |6810|51234|51179| ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return first two columns if match found among two files

Hi, I have FileA with one column. File B with 15 columns separated by comma delimiter. I need to compare the FILEA value with all 15 columns of FILEB... if matches, need to return the 1st, 2nd column values of FILEB. How to achieve this through shell script? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsikrishna928
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match first two columns and average third from multiple files

I have the following format of input from multiple files File 1 24.01 -81.01 1.0 24.02 -81.02 5.0 24.03 -81.03 0.0 File 2 24.01 -81.01 2.0 24.02 -81.02 -5.0 24.03 -81.03 10.0 I need to scan through the files and when the first 2 columns match I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match the columns between two files and output

Hi Help, I have two files namely a.txt and b.txt a.txt looks like a.txt 1 2 2 1 3 3 2 4 4 4 5 6 6 7 7 b.txt looks like, b.txt 1 2 1 1 3 2 2 4 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates in a dataframe (table) keeping all the different cells of just one of the columns

Hello all, I need to filter a dataframe composed of several columns of data to remove the duplicates according to one of the columns. I did it with pandas. In the main time, I need that the last column that contains all different data ( not redundant) is conserved in the output like this: A ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro88
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Data match 2 files based on first 2 columns matching only and join if match

Hi, i have 2 files , the data i need to match is in masterfile and i need to pull out column 3 from master if column 1 and 2 match and output entire row to new file I have tried with join and awk and i keep getting blank outputs or same file is there an easier way than what i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axis88
4 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD