Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Grep expressions homework, need assistance Post 302514287 by Perderabo on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:28:02 AM
Old 04-15-2011
Regarding problem 10, I am guessing that you are using linux or at least that your grep supports
Quote:
-o, --only-matching
Show only the part of a matching line that matches PATTERN.
Remember that the data starts with a non-# in column 1 and continues with other non-# characters.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep where expressions reside in file

I have a program that displays many messages on stdout. I have another file that contain error messages only - Each line is a separate message. (msgs.txt) I am trying to show only the errors and not all the output. I tried this but got nothing: myprog | grep < msgs.txt I also tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

More Grep - Regular Expressions

Hey all! I'm trying to search a file and return all instances of a word, let's say 'foo' in this case, as long as it's not a function name. For example: 1) int foo; //OK 2) //'this is totally fooed up' is also OK 3) int foo (int x, int y) //not ok to return I've tried a lot of regular... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jombee
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and regular expressions :

I wrote a simple korn shell where I am trying to filter all the good record layouts of a file to only leave the bad ones to look at. That file is hudge. Aside from '# comments' and 'var=ssss', all record should follow a specific record layout, with comma seperated fields. Some fields can have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistence With Using Asterisks in GREP Expressions

I am attempting to find all complete words which contain an asterisk at the beginning and the end - for instance, "*Hello?*" or "*you*". From what I've read, I would have thought that the following expression would do that just fine: \<\*.*\*\> \< denoting the beginning of a word. \*... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MagusScythe
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance to use ls and GREP

Hi We have several folders and subfolders in a heirarchy, representing clients and files we send to them. Files that are not processed are placed in reject folder. I am able to run a LS that will scan all these folders, and ones that show entries (rejected files) are seen here. I am looking for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
8 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expressions with GREP

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Given a text file (big_english.txt) containing roughly 250,000 words, answer the following using grep and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blahblahblah123
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and regular expressions

Hi All, For the past many days I have solved a lot of grep and regular expression questions, Now I am in a search for a good quality set of questions that can help me build and check my knowledge of grep with regular expressions, it would be great if anyone could help me with my requirement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulkalra9
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance required with awk and regular expressions

Hello there, I am trying to get my head around the section below of a script we use that incorporates AWK and Regular Expressions. { match($0,"The broker*");print $1,$2,$3 ":", substr($0, RSTART,RLENGTH)} I have a basic understanding of how match works, what I am struggling with is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Student needs grep command assistance

I am a student in a UNIX/Linux classes having hard time with grep looking for assistance on some home work I need to figure out some kind of grep command to get a out put that only gives me information from a sample file and only list the people with the first name John the sample file is named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)