Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 2 versions, 1 script (A tale of madness.) Post 302514117 by rdcwayx on Thursday 14th of April 2011 10:11:02 PM
Old 04-14-2011
so what's the reason to keep version 1.77? why not delete it?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

network madness

well here's the situation .... the setup - cisco 800 series router , 2 cisco 1900 switches , which connect abt 15 pc's . the task - establish a connection with a remote server through a digital line (64kbps) the problem - 7 pcs connected to one of the two switches do not connect to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
9 Replies

2. IP Networking

network speed not tale with the port setting

Hi all, one of my Sun Box facing the problem. The network port i had set to Auto-Negotiated and i had edited the /etc/system/ file in the Sun box as below: set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=1 set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=0 set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0 But when i checked the /var/adm/messages/, it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script preserving last 2 versions of files

I need some help with the logic and syntax for a shell script (ksh) that will search a directory and look for similar files and save only the last two versions. The version number is in the file name. However, the files are of varying name lengths and may have 1 or many files, with no limit to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to delete previous versions of files

Hi. I need a script (either bash or perl) that can delete previous versions of files. For instance, from our continuous build process I get directories such as build5_dev_1.21 build5_dev_1.22 build5_dev_1.23 build5_dev_1.24 I need a script that I can run every night (using "at"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete older versions of unique files

I have directory where new sub directories and files being created every few minutes. The directories are like abc_date, def_date, ghi_date. I am looking to keep the latest 2 unique directories and delete everything else. Here is what I have so far This gives me unique names excluding the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzstore
5 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Interview madness

A discussion elsewhere got me thinking: What where the most insane/amusing/strange interview questions or answers you got/gave? Not overly technical stuff, but questions that made you go "Huh?" (And keeping with this forums main Idea: "No technical Q&A") I'll start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to maintain file versions

I am developing a script to maintain 'n' number of versions of a file. The script will take a filename as a parameter and the number of versions to maintain. This basically does something like a FIFO. Here is what I developed. But something is not right. I have attached the script. Can u pls help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies
GIT-SYMBOLIC-REF(1)						    Git Manual						       GIT-SYMBOLIC-REF(1)

NAME
git-symbolic-ref - Read, modify and delete symbolic refs SYNOPSIS
git symbolic-ref [-m <reason>] <name> <ref> git symbolic-ref [-q] [--short] <name> git symbolic-ref --delete [-q] <name> DESCRIPTION
Given one argument, reads which branch head the given symbolic ref refers to and outputs its path, relative to the .git/ directory. Typically you would give HEAD as the <name> argument to see which branch your working tree is on. Given two arguments, creates or updates a symbolic ref <name> to point at the given branch <ref>. Given --delete and an additional argument, deletes the given symbolic ref. A symbolic ref is a regular file that stores a string that begins with ref: refs/. For example, your .git/HEAD is a regular file whose contents is ref: refs/heads/master. OPTIONS
-d, --delete Delete the symbolic ref <name>. -q, --quiet Do not issue an error message if the <name> is not a symbolic ref but a detached HEAD; instead exit with non-zero status silently. --short When showing the value of <name> as a symbolic ref, try to shorten the value, e.g. from refs/heads/master to master. -m Update the reflog for <name> with <reason>. This is valid only when creating or updating a symbolic ref. NOTES
In the past, .git/HEAD was a symbolic link pointing at refs/heads/master. When we wanted to switch to another branch, we did ln -sf refs/heads/newbranch .git/HEAD, and when we wanted to find out which branch we are on, we did readlink .git/HEAD. But symbolic links are not entirely portable, so they are now deprecated and symbolic refs (as described above) are used by default. git symbolic-ref will exit with status 0 if the contents of the symbolic ref were printed correctly, with status 1 if the requested name is not a symbolic ref, or 128 if another error occurs. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-SYMBOLIC-REF(1)