Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract variables from filenames and output to file Post 302513542 by malandisa on Wednesday 13th of April 2011 02:06:08 PM
Old 04-13-2011
Hi kevintse,

Thank you for that explanation and the time you have taken to help. Much appreciated. I am still figuring out how I will add another column there. One way I am thinking is if it is possible to put the 'filename' directly into this line command so that the command does not read the 'filename' from the file called data.

I thought something like this would work...
Quote:
perl -pe 's/^.(\d{4})(\d{3}).*$/$1 $2/' 'e20012110129_xform_azisum_mlt_2.25_0.50.txt'
so that the output is
Quote:
2001 211
then I can add another variable as a third column

Any advice will be appreciated
Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filenames/variables into a script

Hi! I'm somewhat new to Unix (I use it to fiddle, but not seriously), and at my work I have come to use it quite a bit. My question is this: I want to create a script to take the tedium out of repetitious tasks. However, I need to pass a file name into the script in order for it to work. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrToast
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract date out of this filenames

I have filenames filenameA_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameASPQ_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAFTOPHYYINGH_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAGHYSW_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz Is there a way I can extract the date out of these filenames? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk splits file in to multiple - how to get filenames in variables withing ksh?

Hi all, I'm using awk in a .ksh script to split one file by line prefix into different files (up to 4). The files are named after the prefix in the line, and a sequence no. Is there any way to get the filenames in to variables too? I need _ftpfile1, _ftpfile2, _ftpfile3 and _ftpfile4 which are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidermike
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK BEGIN to extract file header info into variables

Hi Folks, I've searched for this for quite a while, but can't find any solution - hope someone can help. I have various files with standard headers. eg. <HEADER> IP: 1.2.3.4 Username: Joe Time: 12:00:00 Date: 23/05/2010 </HEADER> This is a test and this part can be any size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: damoske
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in filenames located in variables in shell.

Greetings. I am trying to do a script that will do some file copying for me. Unfortunately I have spaces in the directory names (which I cannot change) and the result is someone hard to achieve in shell scripts. I have searched everywhere on the web but does not manage to find the answer to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and for each line replace two variables, add strings and save output in another file

Hi All, I have a file, let's call it "info.tmp" that contains data like this .. ABC123456 PCX333445 BCD789833 I need to read "info.tmp" and for each line add strings in a way that the final output is put /logs/ua/dummy.trigger 'AAA00001.FTP.XXX.BLA03A01.xxxxxx(+1)' where XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy_ARG
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract unique filenames

Hi Unix Gurus, In a script, I am trying to extract unique text from a set of filenames. I have certain files like below in a directory: OPEN_INV_01012011.xls OPEN_INV_01022011.xls OPEN_INV_01032011.xls CLOSE_INV_01012011.xls CLOSE_INV_01022011.xls I need to extract just "OPEN_INV_" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create csv with output filenames and file size

Hello All, Here is seeking a bit of help in trying to solve a problem. I am required to create a csv file as shown below: output.csv -> output_1,output_2,output_3,...,output_<N> filename1:20,filename2:30,filename3:30,...,filename<N>:30 by listing output_1, output_2,... , output<N> as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match file and extract the output

Hi All I have 2 file . I need match the files based on key and then form a third file which have the matching values FILE1: 10264;K*AD 10265;K*AIR 10266;K*AUTO 10267;K*BABY 10268;K* FOOD FILE2: 10264;1055.83 10265;716.94 10267;331.80 10268;23283.33 OUTPUT (Needed)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)