Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming passing object to function, columns class Post 302513185 by LMHmedchem on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 02:23:36 PM
Old 04-12-2011
passing object to function, columns class

I am working on a small columns class, since I use allot of tabular data. I am trying to set up code to allow me to efficiently read in tabular data, manipulate it, and write to output files. I more or less know what I need to do, but there are many options to sort through.

I have the beginnings of a columns class, without access functions and such. This also includes a vector of class that will hold one object for each col.
Code:
class column_data {

public:

// initialize class members
   column_data()
      : scaleMin(0.0),
        scaleMax(0.0),
        content(""),
        type(""),
        scale_type("") ,
        header("")  { }

float scaleMin, scaleMax;
   std::string content, type, scale_type, header;
   std::vector<std::string> inputDataString;
   std::vector<char> inputDataChar;
   std::vector<int> inputDataInt;
   std::vector<float> inputDataFloat;

};

// create vector of column_data objects
std::vector<column_data> columns;

There is some meta data here (like the content field), that will probably end up in a different class. I have vectors for the different data types that could be in the data. Only one of these would get populated, depending on the value of "type".

I am reading all of the data and storing each row in a vector of string,
Code:
   // create an input stream and open the input file
   ifstream splitsInput;
   splitsInput.open( splitsInFile.c_str() );

// read in each line
   while(getline(splitsInput,newSplitsLine)) {
      // remove '\r' EOL chars
      newSplitsLine.erase (remove(newSplitsLine.begin(),newSplitsLine.end(),'\r') , newSplitsLine.end());
      // store row data in vector of string
      storeSplitsRows.push_back(newSplitsLine);
   }

Then I can create an object for each col by parsing the first row,
Code:
   colsRowStream << storeSplitsRows[0];
   int i = 0;
   // parse header row into cells, tab delimiter
   while(getline(colsRowStream,rowCell,'\t')) {
      // create new column data object
      column_data newCol;
      // add to vector
      columns.push_back(newCol);
      i++;
   }
   // clear the buffer
   colsRowStream.clear();

Now I have an object for each col and can begin processing the other rows.

I would like to make processing a function where I would add a row to the string stream, select a target variable in the class for the parsed data to go, and pass the stringstream and the target to a loading function.
Code:
// accepts a string stream and parses the data in to columns
int row_toCols(stringstream colsRowStream){
   int i = 0;
   std::string rowCell

// parse row into cells by tab delimiter
   while(getline(colsRowStream,rowCell,'\t')) {
      columns[i].content = rowCell;
      i++;
   }
   // clear the buffer
   colsRowStream.clear();
}

// load first row into string stream
colsRowStream << storeSplitsRows[0];
row_toCols( stringstream colsRowStream);

The code above results in the data in the first row being parsed by tab and deposited in the content string var of each object. What I need to do is to be able to pass the target in the call so I can re-use this function to populate the rest of the data structure. I guess I would set the function to look for a pointer to an object, and then pass the object using the & operator, but there are always allot of ways of doing this kind of thing, so I'm not sure. I also need the code to handle different data types other than string. I could have different loading functions for different data types if that is necessary.

If I am going about this whole thing in the wrong way, now would be a good time to say so. Smilie The loading function will probably be a class method at some point.

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Listing function exports from object file

Is it possible to view all the functions exported by a given object file? "dump -tv" comes the closest, but what exactly am I looking for to determine whether the symbol exists in the object file? Essentially, I have a library that requires a call to "xdr_sizeof" and the compile is failing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
5 Replies

2. Programming

How to make a function friend to both base and derived class

Hi, I have a base class and derived a class from the base class, i want to print & read the data for the object created for the derived class,so i have overloaded both the << and >> operators and also have done the foward declaration. Below is the code snippet, #include <iostream> class... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

4. Programming

Handling a signal with a class member function

Hello, i am using the sigaction function to handle the SIGCHLD signal.Is it possible to use a class member function as the handler function (the sa_handler member of the sigaction structure)? The function's signature is: void (*sa_handler)(int);so i don't think i can use a static member function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Call external function in .C or .So (Shared Object)

Hi, Anybody know any way to Call with Shell Script an external function wrote in .C or .So (Shared Object) on AIX enviroment and returning parameters of .C or .SO to Shell Script? Tks!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdgsantos
6 Replies

6. Programming

question about function object

I have a code as following: #include <iostream> #include <algorithm> #include <list> using namespace std; //the class Nth is a predicates class Nth{ private: int nth; int count; public: Nth(int n):nth(n),count(0){} bool operator()(int){ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

opends- help with custom object class

we have 2.2.0 of opends running on RedHat 2.6.21 and we're trying to setup a structure that will suit our needs. One of the things we'd like to do is create our own custom object classes based off some of the existing ones you get out of the box. The opends documentation covers this here (sorry, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snafu
1 Replies

8. Programming

Created a wrapper for a function in a class.

I have a class called Parsing with the following function. I want to create a wrapper for it, so that I call it using GetReal rather than GetFloat. Bit confused on how to do this. class Parsing { private: int Length; // int Ptr; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Programming

How to initialize an object with another object of different class?

How to initialize an object of class say "A", with an object of type say "B". The following code give the error message "error: conversion from âAâ to non-scalar type âBâ requested" #include <iostream> using namespace std; class B; class A{ public: A() { cout <<"\nA()" << endl; } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmonk
1 Replies

10. Programming

C++ : Base class member function not accessible from derived class

Hello All, I am a learner in C++. I was testing my inheritance knowledge with following piece of code. #include <iostream> using namespace std; class base { public : void display() { cout << "In base display()" << endl; } void display(int k) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
2 Replies