Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell scripts - list dead users accts and include a count at the end? Post 302513145 by DGPickett on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 12:36:06 PM
Old 04-12-2011
How do you detect a dead account, no home dir? What is a false shell running? Usually, you count with something like this in the pipeline (bash):
Code:
 . . . | tee >(
  echo "Count: $(wc -l)"
 ) . . . .

BTW, tee writes stdout first, then $1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripts to create 100 users

Hello i need a shell script to create 100 users i am running hp-ux......... startegy is something like this craete a shell script !/bin/ksh counter=1 while do { useradd usr$counter passwd usr$counter # here begins my problem when i say passwd usr$counter #it again prompts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count from right end of string

hi all, I'm trying to use substr(p,c,l) in awk but i'd like to have the 'position' argument count from the right end of the string instead of left end. evidently, just putting a '-' sign in front of the number does not work. any ideas? cheers, kl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ee7klt
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the users

Is there a command that counts the logged in users? for tcsh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aekaramg20
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripts running under different users

what command can i use to tell if a script is running under different users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csnewbie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripts and changing users

Hi, I am writing somescripts to shut down some services in Korn Shell. Some of the services are under different owners. For example when I want to shutdown NXserver I need to be "root", but when I shut down the webserver I need to be under a different user. Manual I would use "su root" and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bonekrusher
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut but include delimiter at end

Can someone please tell me how to do this... input file - /etc/group: wheel:*:0:root,timber daemon:*:1: mysql:*:88: ...etc... giants:*:1001:dalton,bandit dalton:*:1002: bandit:*:1003: output file (my goal): giants:*:1001: dalton:*:1002: bandit:*:1003:I've come up with this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lewcifer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX shell scripting end to end information

Hi, I would like to learn shell scripting in UNIX. Can any one please give me the support and share the information/documents with me. If any documents please post it to aswanikumar_nimmagadda@yahoo.co.in Thanks in advance...!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswani_n
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include special system characters in file count

Hi, I have a script that checks the length of each record/line in file - This seems to be working when there are no special systems character that are invisible or hidden. awk -v file=$file '{ if (filename==file) { k+=$5 if (length() <= 10 ){print size length(), "bytes " k} }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar include list

Hi, I am tarring a file as below. First,TMP_LOG_TAR.out is file which contain file path to include the file when i do tar. Second the, i am doing gzip the tarred file. Third, Sending a mail with gz file as attachment. But it fails to open the gz file in the mail tar -cf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include logfile in scripts

I am also pretty new to this scripting as well. I have found some bash script files from a legacy software. I need to find out the meaning. Could anyone help me regarding the following line: LOGFILE=/export/home/test/log/test1.log where and how this log file is being saved and why this line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sMark31
5 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17; library support was added to glibc in version 2.5. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-04 TEE(2)