Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Source txt to be imported in xls as .csv Post 302513134 by Corona688 on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 12:13:26 PM
Old 04-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaur.deepti
Hey , can you pls explain what the script is doing , I am working on a similar kind of script.
does the script needs filename as input or will it convert all the .txt files in path to files dir to .csv files.I tried to execute the script it is giving an error as invalid iname
Please show exactly what your script contains.

Quote:
can you explain me the below part
It runs find to find all files named *.txt inside /path/to/files/ and prints them one by one. The while loop reads the names one by one, and for each filename, it reads in from filename, feeds them through tr to replace | with , and sends the output to filename.csv

I think your system must be one that needs -name instead of -iname. Since you hadn't stated your system, I couldn't tell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting csv to xls

Hi, Can anyone tell the option to change the file type in unix. i.e. if a file is in csv(Comma Separating Values) format, it should be changed to xls(ordinary MS-Excel) format. But renaming command is not changing to correct file format. Thanks in advance, Milton. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltony
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

From xls to csv file

Can we convert an xls file into csv format in Unix Thanks Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input .txt file into .xls spreadsheet

I need to take the totals from my script and input them into a excel spreadsheet. Right now, I just copy and paste. Is there an easier way? 3906 is the total jobs in ABEND state 4005 is the total jobs in SUCC state 1050 is the total jobs in HOLD state (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wereyou
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

xls to csv

how to convert a xls file into .csv file? is tghere any command in unix for that? please help thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting xls file to txt file and xls to csv

I need to convert an excel file into a text file and an excel file into a CSV file.. any code to do that is appreciated thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandar007
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert XLS to CSV and DOC/RTF to TXT

Hi, i don't know anything about PERL. Can anyone help me providing PERL scripts for 1. converting XLS to CSV (and vice-versa) 2. converting DOC/RTF to TXT Thanks much Prvn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from txt file and write it to xls?

Hello All, I just want help in coding a simple shell script since i am a newbie for UNIX and i started learning unix and shell scripting basics recently. I am having a data like this in .txt file. Product Name : XYZ Price : 678.1 Best Buy Price : 600 Product Name : ABC Price : 465... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to XLS

Ok, every morning at my office we send out excel sheets to Economy people with statistics for yesterdays trading. All the trading run's in Redhat or Solaris environments. We run a script on a Redhat server whitch generates the stats in CSV format. After we download we open it in Excel and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle to CSV to XLS

I would like to know if have one way with read table from oracle converter in CSV o TXT and After converter in XLS or spreedsheet Thanks so much JAvier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeiregh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csv to xls

Hello I have a script which converts log to csv. Now I need to have xls. Is there any easy way/command which can convert csv to xls?:confused: preferably just using bash and not perl,... is it possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frhling
1 Replies
OSACOMPILE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     OSACOMPILE(1)

NAME
osacompile -- compile AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osacompile [-l language] [-e command] [-o name] [-d] [-r type:id] [-t type] [-c creator] [-x] [-s] [-u] [-a arch] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
osacompile compiles the given files, or standard input if none are listed, into a single output script. Files may be plain text or other compiled scripts. The options are as follows: -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -e command Enter one line of a script. Script commands given via -e are prepended to the normal source, if any. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the command will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -o name Place the output in the file name. If -o is not specified, the resulting script is placed in the file ``a.scpt''. The value of -o partly determines the output file format; see below. -x Save the resulting script as execute-only. The following options are only relevant when creating a new bundled applet or droplet: -s Stay-open applet. -u Use startup screen. -a arch Create the applet or droplet for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable values are ``ppc'', ``i386'', and ``x86_64''. The default is to create a universal binary. The following options control the packaging of the output file. You should only need them for compatibility with classic Mac OS or for cus- tom file formats. -d Place the resulting script in the data fork of the output file. This is the default. -r type:id Place the resulting script in the resource fork of the output file, in the specified resource. -t type Set the output file type to type, where type is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. -c creator Set the output file creator to creator, where creator is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. If no options are specified, osacompile produces a Mac OS X format script file: data fork only, with no type or creator code. If the -o option is specified and the file does not already exist, osacompile uses the filename extension to determine what type of file to create. If the filename ends with ``.app'', it creates a bundled applet or droplet. If the filename ends with ``.scptd'', it creates a bun- dled compiled script. Otherwise, it creates a flat file with the script data placed according to the values of the -d and -r options. EXAMPLES
To produce a script compatible with classic Mac OS: osacompile -r scpt:128 -t osas -c ToyS example.applescript SEE ALSO
osascript(1), osalang(1) Mac OS X November 12, 2008 Mac OS X