Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Recovery of formatted ext3 partition Post 302513113 by Corona688 on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 11:16:29 AM
Old 04-12-2011
You could try something like magicrescue, which scans sector-by-sector to hunt for fragments of previous files without caring about the filesystem at all. Beyond that you're probably out luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting an Ext3 partition...

I'm trying to delete my red hat partitions so I can restructure my computer's hard drive. I want to delete the Boot, /, and Swapspace partitions so I can rearrange my drive and install some other systems. In partition magic when I attempt to delete the Ext3 partitions, it reads as not being able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
4 Replies

2. Solaris

recovery partition table from fdisk?

I have two disks on a sun blade 100. I just installed a solaris8 on the first disk. The installation was successful. But the problem is now I lost all data / partition on my second hard disk. The possible reason could be: 1. I used default web start install. During the installation I didn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: motor98
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatted Linux partition from Windows

While working in windows, I accidently formatted the Linux partition (I had fedora core 3 dual boot system with Windows XP as the default OS to boot). Now, on starting the comp, I see a grub command line, and I am not able to make any progress from there. Can I do something so that I change it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangupta
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Making a "Recovery Partition" ??

Hiya people.. I was hoping some expert here would share with me some details as I like to make a "System Recovery Partition" on a external drive. I use my MacBookPro on the road all the time and in the past it's known to happen, and often it happens at the worst time. So, my question is: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akira
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

umount(ing) LVM ext3 partition problem

I am using RHEL4 OS and the problem i have is that when i try to umount an LVM implemented partition after checking the properties of the mounted folder it gives the error of device busy . things iam not doing : iam not in the mounted woulder either by shell or by GUI. thing iam not trying do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahir Saleh
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with ext3 partition

I accidentally deleted one of my ext3 partitions from Windows XP. However, since I did not make new partitions over it, or format that area, I guess my data is safe. So I made a new partition with the same cylinder boundary values using fdisk (in Linux). But I cannot access my old data on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digjam
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux EXT3 superblock recovery

Is there a way to recover or rebuild the superblock of an ext3 filesystem with out loosing data? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

10. Gentoo

Data recovery of formatted external HDD

accidentally formatted ext3 external hard disk .. im using EAse us tool in windows system to recover the data ... will this works?? if yes ... the another external hard disk have to be formatted in which file system ? is there any other option ..please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshz
1 Replies
E2TOOLS(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						E2TOOLS(7)

NAME
e2tools - utilities to manipulate files in an ext2/ext3 filesystem DESCRIPTION
E2tools is a simple set of GPL'ed utilities to read, write, and manipulate files in an ext2/ext3 filesystem. These utilities access a filesystem directly using the ext2fs library. I wrote these tools in order to copy files into a linux filesystem on a machine that does not have ext2 support. Of course, they can also be used on a linux machine to read/write to disk images or floppies without having to mount them or have root access. Supported functionality: e2cp copy files e2mv move files e2rm remove files e2mkdir create directory e2ln create hard links e2ls list files/directories e2tail output the last part of a file In general, to specify a directory or file on an ext2 filesystem for the e2tools utilities, use the following form: filesystem:directory_path The filesystem can be an unmounted partition or a regular file that's been formatted to contain an ext2 filesystem. In general, if a com- mand takes multiple file names on the command line, if the first one contains an ext2 file specification, the rest of the files are assumed to be on the same filesystem until another one is explicitly stated: /tmp/boot.img:/tmp/file1 /tmp/file2 /tmp/file3 /tmp/boot2.img:/tmp/file4 Files 1-3 are on /tmp/boot.img and the last file is on /tmp/boot2.img SEE ALSO
e2cp(1), e2ln(1), e2ls(1), e2mkdir(1), e2mv(1), e2rm(1), e2tail(1). AUTHOR
The e2tools were written by Keith Sheffield <sheff@pobox.com>. This manual page was written by Lucas Wall <lwall@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). March 2, 2005 E2TOOLS(7)