Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing a UNIX script from LOG to provide return code. Post 302513055 by sk72 on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 03:05:44 PM
Old 04-12-2011
Thanks Ken!

I believe that would do the trick!! I am trying to test this out from my environment and I have done the following;

1. I have created a checklog.scp file with the following code below
Code:
#!/bin/sh
test -f "$1"  ||  exit 1
grep 'execution completed' "$1" | tail -n1 | grep -q successfully

2. I made the above file executable

Now I am not quite sure about 2 things;

1. If I should try to embed this code on my existing Unix script file (TR01.scp) which I created to trigger the event (See the Code Below)

Code:
ksh /export/home/install/bin/mstrcmdmgr 
-n DEV -u ABC -p xxxx 
-f /export/home/mstr/Trigger/Event/EV01.scp 
-o /export/home/mstr/Trigger/Logs/File_Output.scp

######
-f = Location of the Event script
-o = Location of the log file which will get generated
######

2. Since your code does not specifiy the location of the log file to perform the grep, I am not sure where to place this file.

Ideally, I would like to see the return code when I execute the TR01.scp

Thanks for all your help Ken!!

---------- Post updated at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ----------

Ken -

I finally broke the deadlock... Smilie of course your idea was the inpiration to begin with. I tweaked it a little after getting some additional ideas. The script is as below;

Code:
#!/sbin/sh
###############################
HOME=/export/home/xxxx/Trigger
###############################

echo " Executing Script.. Please Wait... "
"$HOME/TRG01_PWS.scp"

echo " Executed Trigger TRG01_PWS "

echo " Verifying Execution.. Please Wait..."
sleep 20

tail -5 $HOME/Logs/File_Output.log > $HOME/Logs/run_state.log
strRunState=`grep "execution completed successfully" 
$HOME/Logs/run_state.log | wc -l`

if [ $strRunState == 1 ]
then
echo "Return Code = 0 (Trigger Executed Successfully)"
else
echo "Return Code = 1 (Trigger Execution Failed)"
fi

Let me know what you think?

Thanks for all your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a unix script

OS: Solaris Shell : KSH Please help me in writing a script that captures a error message from a log file ( which updates continiously ) and send an email alert as soon as the systems throws a error message into that log. i.e With out monitoring the log Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pray44u
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code of a unix command

How to find out whether the command I executed is successful or unsuccessful(at commandlinet) Eg: say i execute the following command at command line rm * How do i find out whether my previous command is a success or failure. Thankyou. Best Regards, Ram. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code from script

hey all, I have a simple script #!/bin/bash ./cron.sh test_a.txt & ./cron.sh test_b.txt & wait I want to invoke another program based on the return status of the above calls. How am I were to get that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Unix Script Writing

Hi Folks, I posted a few days ago, thanks for the responses. My original question was for renaming files of sort 3p2325294.dgn in a directory containing multiple files. I need to drop the first 2 characters and the last in a unix script using Perl. How does it differ from using the Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dinkster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing this unix script

I am working on writing scripts. Here is a script I need help with. I have also wrote what I think it is. I would really appreciate any help that I can get. Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help writing this unix script

Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the file exists, prompt the user for confirmation before renaming the file. The screen should prompt the user for a. "Name of file you want to rename." Use the "\c"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pointers on writing a unix script

Hi All, I am writing a unix shell script. I have a file called Results.txt which stores 4 fields separated by pipe. i.e. a pipe delimited file. I want to loop through each record of this file and store each of these 4 fields into variables. I have read can be done through awk but I have never... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shwetainnani
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

return code from oracle to unix script

Hi I'm writing a shell script that connects to oracle database and fires query to check the availability of data in a table. In case of no data found then what will be the return code and how to handle in that in variable. Kindly provide with an example for better understanding... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix return code example

Hi, Does anyone here can guide me to understand how is return code works in a parent-child relation with a simple example? I have a request to build the script with return code in a child script, but i want to understand how does child script can return a code to the parent, stated if its... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get return code from mutt if an address is invalid/undeliverable from Unix shell script

I am using mutt on ksh Unix to send emails to addresses plucked from the database. If the "To:" email address is not longer valid and so the email is not sent to the "To:" recipient, but is sent to the valid cc address, I need to be able to get an error code returned to the shell script so that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzuber
3 Replies
XMLTO(1)							       xmlto								  XMLTO(1)

NAME
xmlto - apply an XSL stylesheet to an XML document SYNOPSIS
xmlto [-o output_dir] [-x custom_xsl] [-m xsl_fragment] [-v] [-p postprocessor_opts] [--extensions] [--searchpath path] [--skip-validation] {format} {file} xmlto {--help | --version} DESCRIPTION
The purpose of xmlto is to convert an XML file to the desired format using whatever means necessary. This may involve two steps: 1. The application of an appropriate XSL stylesheet using an XSL-T processor. 2. Further processing with other tools. This step may not be necessary. To decide which stylesheet to use and what, if any, needs to be done to post-process the output, xmlto makes use of format scripts, which are simple shell scripts that xmlto calls during the conversion. The appropriate format script is selected based on the type of XML file and the desired output format. xmlto comes with some format scripts for converting DocBook XML files to a variety of formats. You may specify your own format script by using an absolute filename for format on the command line. Firstly, if xmlto has not been told explicitly which stylesheet to use (with the -x option), the format script will be called with $1 set to stylesheet. The environment variable XSLT_PROCESSOR contains the base name of the executable that will be used to perform the XSL-T transformation (for example xsltproc), and the environment variable XSL_DIR contains the path to the directory containing some useful stylesheets that come with xmlto. The format script should write the name of the stylesheet to use to standard output and exit success- fully, or exit with a non-zero return code if there is no appropriate stylesheet to use (for example, if the only available stylesheet is known not to work with the XSL-T processor that will be used). If nothing is written to standard output but the script exits successfully, no XSL-T transformation will be performed. Secondly, after an XSL-T processor has been run using the stylesheet, the format script will be called again, this time with $1 set to post-process. The format script should perform any necessary steps to translate the XSL-T processed output into the desired output format, including copying the output to the desired output directory. For post-processing, the format script is run in a temporary directory con- taining just the processed output (whose name is stored in XSLT_PROCESSED and whose basename is that of the original XML file with any filename extension replaced with .proc). INPUT_FILE is set to the name of the original XML file, OUTPUT_DIR is set to the name of the directory that the output (and only the output) must end up in, and SEARCHPATH is set to a colon-separate list of fallback directories in which to look for input (for images, for example). If this step is unsuccessful the format script should exit with a non-zero return code. -v Be verbose (-vv for very verbose). -x stylesheet Use stylesheet instead of asking the format script to choose one. -m fragment Use the provided XSL fragment to modify the stylesheet. -o directory Put output in the specified directory instead of the current working directory. -p postprocessor_opts Pass postprocessor_opts to processing stages after stylesheet application (e.g. lynx or links when going through HTML to text, or xmltex when going from through TeX to DVI). If -p is specified a second time, the options specified will be passed to second-stage postprocessing; presently this is only applicable when going through xmltex and dvips to PostScript. --extensions Turn on stylesheet extensions for the tool chain in use (for example, this might turn on passivetex.extensions and use.extensions if PassiveTeX is being used). The variables turned on are the ones used by Norman Walsh's DocBook XSL stylesheets. --searchpath path Add the colon-separated list of directories in path as fallback directories for including input. --skip-validation Skip the validation step that is normally performed. --help Display a short usage message. It will describe xmlto's options, and the available output formats. --version Display the version number of xmlto. EXAMPLES
To convert a DocBook XML document to PDF, use: xmlto pdf mydoc.xml To convert a DocBook XML document to HTML and store the resulting HTML files in a separate directory use: xmlto -o html-dir html mydoc.xml To convert a DocBook XML document to a single HTML file use: xmlto html-nochunks mydoc.xml To modify the output using an XSL fragment use: xmlto -m ulink.xsl pdf mydoc.xml To specify which stylesheet to use (overriding the one that the format script would choose) use: xmlto -x mystylesheet.xsl pdf mydoc.xml AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. Linux October 2002 XMLTO(1)