Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming What Programming language should I start learning first? Post 302513041 by kurumi on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 08:35:56 AM
Old 04-12-2011
If you just want to do programming and not some low level stuff (device drivers, etc), then consider using a high level language like Python or Ruby. These languages let you concentrate on getting your stuff going, without having to learn low level stuff like pointers (c/c++) and such. Plus, they provide good to use data structures such as hashes, dictionaries and arrays (and abundance of libraries) which you can make use of in your programming task which you can find them lacking or hard to use in other languages. For Python, go to doc.python.org, For Ruby go to Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide

A rudimentary approach to convert your word from one language to another is to use a lookup table (that is, your hashes/dictionary). here's a demo in Ruby
Code:
>> words={ "ruby"=>"rubí", "is"=>"es", "great"=>"gran" } #english to spanish
>> words["great"]
=> "gran"

(of course, actual spanish may not be spoken like that.). you can further expand this list by creating a list of such mappings in a database or a flat file. And this is written in like less than a minute. Try doing that with C/C++ (or even Java)

Last edited by kurumi; 04-12-2011 at 09:44 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the programming language matters?

I see you guys encouraged people studied and used C while they were working on UNIX. Does C++ or JAVA matter? And in the past threads, Neo, PxT, and other members recommanded lots good books. I think those people who asked for the references, such as Dominic, had experiences on sys admin or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix/Linux from the Start?

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could learn everything about Unix/Linux and I was also wondering what the differance between Unix and Linux was :confused: Ive never used it, never seen it.. But Im interested in learning :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
3 Replies

3. Programming

c programming language

Can someone enligten me on what below program does? I understand getchar and putchar.. but what is this program suppose to do? I try to put printf on it, but it shows nothing.. can someone explain to me what this program is suppose to do? It is reading something and assigning to c? so, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Language Parser for Learning

I'm new to the UNIX world and have to learn scripting for my job. Presented with multiple scripts to learn (and then have to maintain in the future) is there a utility or process to input a script in it's native form and output what each line would look like fully parsed (i.e.: all variable names... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcampb9
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is PERL a programming language?

I need a small and simple clarification... Can someone tell me whether PERL is a programming language or not. Also, can shell scripts also considered as programming language or not. Also, please tell me the exact difference between programming language and scripting. Please help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I feel lost, how do I start learning UNIX?

I'm in college now and a part of a subject in this semester is learning UNIX, though the teacher failed to explain the basics, I feel, we got straight to the Unix Terminal and started putting in commands without much explanation what they were for. I quickly adapted to the basic ones, but in 5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aco036
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning - UNIX Programming Questions

Type in commands that do the following. Part 1 Send the output to a textfile using the "script" command. Attach the "script" file with your output. Don't worry about any mistakes while you are typing - you don't need to do it over and you don't need to clean up your script file. 1) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leaner
1 Replies
RUBY-SWITCH(1)															    RUBY-SWITCH(1)

NAME
ruby-switch - switch between different Ruby interpreters USAGE
ruby-switch --list ruby-switch --check ruby-switch --set RUBYVERSION ruby-switch --auto DESCRIPTION
ruby-switch can be used to easily switch to different Ruby interpreters as the default system-wide interpreter for your Debian system. When run with --list, all supported Ruby interpreters are listed. When --check is passed, ruby-switch will check which Ruby interpreter is currently being used. If the settings are inconsistent -- e.g. `ruby` is Ruby 1.8 and `gem` is using Ruby 1.9.1, ruby-switch will issue a big warning. When --set RUBYINTERPRETER is used ruby-switch will switch your system to the corresponding Ruby interpreter. This includes, for example, the default implementations for the following programs: ruby, gem, irb, erb, testrb, rdoc, ri. ruby-switch --set auto will make your system use the default Ruby interpreter currently suggested by Debian. OPTIONS
-h, --help Displays the help and exits. A NOTE ON RUBY 1.9.x Ruby uses two parallel versioning schemes: the `Ruby library compatibility version' (1.9.1 at the time of writing this), which is similar to a library SONAME, and the `Ruby version' (1.9.3 is about to be released at the time of writing). Ruby packages in Debian are named using the Ruby library compatibility version, which is sometimes confusing for users who do not follow Ruby development closely. ruby-switch also uses the Ruby library compatibility version, so specifying `ruby1.9.1' might give you Ruby with version 1.9.2, or with version 1.9.3, depending on the current Ruby version of the `ruby1.9.1' package. COPYRIGHT AND AUTHORS
Copyright (c) 2011, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. 2011-11-20 RUBY-SWITCH(1)