Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ZFS: devices have slipped out of their mirror Post 302512856 by jlliagre on Monday 11th of April 2011 05:46:30 PM
Old 04-11-2011
It looks like the new disk was added to the pool (zpool add ...) instead of being set as a replacement disk (zpool replace ...).

I'm afraid you'll have to rebuild the whole pool from scratch (backup/restore) to get back the original layout.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 devices

Is it possible to create the CDROM device file for a drive attached to the parallel port? I have a removable CDROM drive (gift - I'm trying not to return it, but may have to anyways) that attaches via parallel port. The only device that I can attach to that hardware address is /dev/c1t0d0_lp, a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
9 Replies

2. Solaris

zfs mirror disk

Is it possible to create a Mirror with zfs ?? I'm experimented user with Solstice Disk suite. Or Sun Volume manager or veritas volume manager. But, i would like switch from Disksuite to Zfs. All my mirrored disks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

4. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

5. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Splitting rpool mirror disk in ZFS

Hi, I have Solaris-10 (release-7) box without any non global zone. I have a very critical change after couple of days from application side. For safer side, we want to keep few level of backups just in case of faliure. This server is having three pool root@prod_ddoa01:/# zpool list NAME SIZE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to split a zfs/zpool mirror for backout purposes?

Hello, I am upgrading Veritas from 5.1 to 6.0.1/6.0.5 in a Solaris 10 u8 server with OS mirrored (rpool) in zfs/zpool configuration. I need to split it to have a quick way to backout in case of failure (make splitted mirror side bootable for a quick revert, like booting from it). I remember... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
3 Replies
ZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						ZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
zfsboot -- bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
zfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. zfsboot is installed in two parts on a disk or a partition used by a ZFS pool. The first part, a single-sector starter boot block, is installed at the beginning of the disk or partition. The second part, a main boot block, is installed at a special offset within the disk or partition. Both areas are reserved by the ZFS on-disk specifi- cation for boot use. If zfsboot is installed in a partition, then that partition should be made bootable using appropriate configuration and boot blocks described in boot(8). BOOTING
The zfsboot boot process is very similar to that of gptzfsboot(8). One significant difference is that zfsboot does not currently support the GPT partitioning scheme. Thus only whole disks and MBR partitions, traditionally referred to as slices, are probed for ZFS disk labels. See the BUGS section in gptzfsboot(8) for some limitations of the MBR scheme support. USAGE
zfsboot supports all the same prompt and configuration file arguments as gptzfsboot(8). FILES
/boot/zfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
zfsboot is typically installed using dd(1). To install zfsboot on the ada0 drive: dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 iseek=1 oseek=1024 If the drive is currently in use, the GEOM safety will prevent writes and must be disabled before running the above commands: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10 zfsboot can also be installed in an MBR slice: gpart create -s mbr ada0 gpart add -t freebsd ada0 gpart create -s BSD ada0s1 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 iseek=1 oseek=1024 Note that commands to create and populate a pool are not shown in the example above. SEE ALSO
dd(1), boot.config(5), boot(8), gptzfsboot(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
zfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Installing zfsboot with dd(1) is a hack. ZFS needs a command to properly install zfsboot onto a ZFS-controlled disk or partition. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD