Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: date command not working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting date command not working Post 302512656 by Scott on Monday 11th of April 2011 07:13:15 AM
Old 04-11-2011
Hi.

I think it unlikely that date would be in /sbin. More likely in /bin.

You also miss a / in your "shebang":

Code:
# cat perl1
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
local ($date) = `/bin/date "+%D %X" ` ;
print $date

# ./perl1
11/04/11 01:15:28 PM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with date

I wan to convert any field having date in the file from the follwoing format 5/1/2003 to 2003-05-01. This file is tab delimited. Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date command to obtain the last month is not working correctly..

Hello, I could not find the exactly same post here.. so I will explain what I did to get the last month using date command. I used date +%Y-%m -d "-1 months" to get the last month. However, the returned value of above command on 2009/10/31 was 2009 10 and not 2009 09.. and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigersk
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with bash and date

Hello all, I'm trying to substract 1 minute from the current date and take the hour and minute (for filename purpose). 1) If I want hour an minute from current time I can use: timetmp=$(date +"%H:%M") 2) To substract 1 minute from current time I can use: timetmp=$(date --date "$dte -1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command is not working properly

Hi, in my script, i take the last month by a=$(date --date '1 month ago' +%Y%m) i expect that it give me in this month "March" as result 201402, but linux gave me 201403. IMPe@ABC123:> ~/date --date '1 month ago' +%Y%m 201403 i'm reasonably confused. Any idea? Thanks in advance, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Validation not working

Hi Experts, I have a date validation script in that i will validate the date for a given format and search in the logs for that date. The script logic is very simple like below. Validate_Date() { is_valid=1 while do date_format=$(date "+$1") echo -e "Please enter the $2 date like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to get last working date

Problem : we need a command that will give previous day date and previous day should be mon-fri only. Example :if we are running a command on Monday , it will give Friday ‘s date not Sunday’s . Few more restrictions : Command should be working in NM n/w. Hard coding of date should be avoided.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Downsouth
11 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP/UX command to pull file name/date based on date

HI, Can anyone tell me how to pull the date and file name separated by a space using the find command or any other command. I want to look through several directories and based on a date timeframe (find -mtime -7), output the file name (without the path) and the date(in format mmddyyyy) to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnemitz
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

awk command in hp UNIX subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option

current date command runs well awk -v t="$(date +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat subtract 30 days fails awk -v t="$(date --date="-30days" +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat awk command in hp unix subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option error... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmarcus
20 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)