Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Is Ubuntu OS good? Do you need to install any driver after installing it? Post 302512583 by Neo on Monday 11th of April 2011 02:37:22 AM
Old 04-11-2011
Ubuntu is a great Linux distribution! So are many other Linux distributions!

You can visit this link to see what our members consider their favorite Linux distributions.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing driver in linux redhat... what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to install this driver: http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=15&l3_id=15&m_id=1&f_name=5702_558.zip~zaqwedc hoping it will correct my problem with my ethernet card. I am following the instructions in the text file that came with download... it says to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
7 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Which GFX driver version am I'm using under Ubuntu 7.04?

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.04 with a Gnome desktop. Following some instructions on the ATI site I think I just managed to install 8.36.5 of the drivers for my Radeon 9500, I'm getting a "Proprietary Drivers in use" warning icon at the top right of the screen, which I activated with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a driver

Hi All, I am trying to install a driver for a CAN card of a machine running Ubuntu 8.04. It cames with three .tgz files for gcc2, gcc3, and k26. The current version of gcc is 4.2.1, which is causing me problems. I installed gcc-3.3 using sudo apt-get install gcc-3.3 But when I run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brian-UOIT
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing Network on Computer, might be driver

Hi All, Just completing my second Solaris installation, in the previous one which was on a Dell X64 machine, I went through the Network configuration setting, on the current computer which I am installing Solaris on, its a custom built machine and for some reason, I didnt see the screen where I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: platforminc
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

6. Ubuntu

istalling postgresql driver on ubuntu

Hello everybody i am working on ubuntu 9.4 and i want to connect from erlang program to postgresql database i download the driver for postgresql from Open Source Projects from Erlang Training and Consultng Ltd. then i try to setup this driver using make install and it didn't work, So can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10

I have a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed in it. The headphone driver is not supportive in my system but it works really well with other laptops like HP. So my question is that does Ubuntu 10.10 in Dell does not work? Moreover, if i upgrade my system later with 11.04, will the problem... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: poonam.gaigole
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installing broadcom driver for wireless access

I use lspci and dmesg command and find out that i have ipw2000 wireless card on my laptop. I want to install driver for that but i'm not getting proper driver for that.My linux version is el5 and architecture is i386. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbharad
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing Printer driver

So I have a canon printer I'm trying to set it up I've gotten the driver from here; wget -c http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0100005511/01/cnijfilter-mg7100series-4.00-1-rpm.tar.gz I try and run the script thats below; But I know where i have to copy the driver too. I was wonder what file i have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtsmith90
10 Replies
LIBC(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   LIBC(7)

NAME
libc - Overview of standard C libraries on Linux DESCRIPTION
The term "libc" is commonly used as a shorthand for the "standard C library", a library of standard functions that can be used by all C programs (and sometimes by programs in other languages). Because of some history (see below), use of the term "libc" to refer to the stan- dard C library is somewhat ambiguous on Linux. glibc By far the most widely used C library on Linux is the GNU C Library (http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/), often referred to as glibc. This is the C library that is nowadays used in all major Linux distributions. It is also the C library whose details are documented in the rel- evant pages of the man-pages project (primarily in Section 3 of the manual). Documentation of glibc is also available in the glibc manual, available via the command info libc. Release 1.0 of glibc was made in September 1992. (There were earlier 0.x releases.) The next major release of glibc was 2.0, at the beginning of 1997. The pathname /lib/libc.so.6 (or something similar) is normally a symbolic link that points to the location of the glibc library, and exe- cuting this pathname will cause glibc to display various information about the version installed on your system. Linux libc In the early to mid 1990s, there was for a while Linux libc, a fork of glibc 1.x created by Linux developers who felt that glibc develop- ment at the time was not sufficing for the needs of Linux. Often, this library was referred to (ambiguously) as just "libc". Linux libc released major versions 2, 3, 4, and 5 (as well as many minor versions of those releases). For a while, Linux libc was the standard C library in many Linux distributions. However, notwithstanding the original motivations of the Linux libc effort, by the time glibc 2.0 was released, it was clearly superior to Linux libc, and all major Linux distributions that had been using Linux libc soon switched back to glibc. (Since this switch occurred over a decade ago, man-pages no longer takes care to document Linux libc details. Nevertheless, the history is visible in vestiges of information about Linux libc that remain in some manual pages, in particular, references to libc4 and libc5.) Other C libraries There are various other less widely used C libraries for Linux. These libraries are generally smaller than glibc, both in terms of fea- tures and memory footprint, and often intended for building small binaries, perhaps targeted at development for embedded Linux systems. Among such libraries are uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/) and dietlibc (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/). Details of these libraries are gen- erally not covered by the man-pages project. SEE ALSO
syscalls(2), feature_test_macros(7), man-pages(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-01-13 LIBC(7)