Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - setting fs to equal any single character Post 302512513 by vgersh99 on Sunday 10th of April 2011 05:52:12 PM
Old 04-10-2011
if 'FIELDWIDTHS' is not available in your version of awk/nawk, you can easly implement one:
Code:
function setFieldsByWidth(   i,n,FWS,start,copyd0) {
  # Licensed under GPL Peter S Tillier, 2003
  # NB corrupts $0
  copyd0 = $0                             # make copy of $0 to work on
  if (length(FIELDWIDTHS) == 0) {
    print "You need to set the width of the fields that you require" > "/dev/stderr"
    print "in the variable FIELDWIDTHS (NB: Upper case!)" > "/dev/stderr"
    exit(1)
  }

if (!match(FIELDWIDTHS,/^[0-9 ]+$/)) {
    print "The variable FIELDWIDTHS must contain digits, separated" > "/dev/stderr"
    print "by spaces." > "/dev/stderr"
    exit(1)
  }

n = split(FIELDWIDTHS,FWS)

if (n == 1) {
    print "Warning: FIELDWIDTHS contains only one field width." > "/dev/stderr"
    print "Attempting to continue." > "/dev/stderr"
  }

start = 1
  for (i=1; i <= n; i++) {
    $i = substr(copyd0,start,FWS[i])
    start = start + FWS[i]
  }
}

#Note that the "/dev/stderr" entries in some lines have wrapped.

#I then call setFieldsByWidth() in my main awk code as follows:

BEGIN {
  #FIELDWIDTHS="7 6 5 4 3 2 1" # for example
  FIELDWIDTHS="1 3 8 8 5 9 1 9" # for example
  OFS="|"
}
!/^[  ]*$/ {
  saveDollarZero = $0 # if you want it later
  setFieldsByWidth()
  # now we can manipulate $0, NF and $1 .. $NF as we wish
  print $0 OFS
  next
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help - Setting variables equal to data from another file

Relatively new poster but long time reader. I tried searching all threads for similar situations with mine but I've had no luck with some of the solutions. I have a script (script.ksh) that is getting information from an Oracle DB and spooling it into a text file (log.txt). I would then like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Crios121
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting array equal to command response

normally when i type: condor_q | tail -1 command line returns: 0 jobs; 0 idle, 0 running, 0 held I want use the number in front of 'running' in a series of equality tests to submit more jobs when my queue gets low. Someone showed me how to do it a few days ago by setting an array equal to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattywac
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: replace single positional character given variables

I already have accomplished this task using sed and arrays, but since I get the variable using awk, I figured I'd ask this question and maybe I can get a cleaner solution using strictly awk.. I just can't quite grasp it in awk. Story: I'm automating the (re)configuration of network interfaces,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you print a single quote character in AWK

How do you print out a single quote character in AWK? Using the escape character does not seem to work. {printf "%1$s %2$s%3$s%2$s\n" , "INCLUDE", " \' ", "THIS" } does not work. Any suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first character doesn't equal '#' and same line contains 'temp', print everything else

(2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoman1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace single character w/awk given conditions

I have a file that looks like this: 14985 DPN verb PPa to spend. 12886 DPNDJN bay tree. 15686 DQ verb to observe 15656 KC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
MOUNT_FDESC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_FDESC(8)

NAME
mount_fdesc -- mount the file-descriptor file system SYNOPSIS
mount_fdesc [-o options] fdesc mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount_fdesc command attaches an instance of the per-process file descriptor namespace to the global filesystem namespace. The conven- tional mount point is /dev and the filesystem should be union mounted in order to augment, rather than replace, the existing entries in /dev. This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot time. The options are as follows: -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The contents of the mount point are fd, stderr, stdin, stdout and tty. fd is a directory whose contents appear as a list of numbered files which correspond to the open files of the process reading the directory. The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. The files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr appear as symlinks to the relevant entry in the /dev/fd sub-directory. Opening them is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. The /dev/tty entry is an indirect reference to the current process's controlling terminal. It appears as a named pipe (FIFO) but behaves in exactly the same way as the real controlling terminal device. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr /dev/tty SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), tty(4), fstab(5), mount(8) CAVEATS
No ~. and .. entries appear when listing the contents of the /dev/fd directory. This makes sense in the context of this filesystem, but is inconsistent with usual filesystem conventions. However, it is still possible to refer to both ~. and .. in a pathname. This filesystem may not be NFS-exported. HISTORY
The mount_fdesc utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.4BSD March 27, 1994 4.4BSD