Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Factorial of any number using functions Post 302512266 by mirni on Saturday 9th of April 2011 04:31:28 AM
Old 04-09-2011
I don't think so...
Code:
miro@miro-ntb:tmp$ cat fact.sh
#!/bin/sh

INPUT=$1
COUNT=${INPUT}

while [ ${COUNT} -ne "1" ]
do
COUNT=`expr ${COUNT} - 1`
INPUT=`expr ${INPUT} \* ${COUNT}`
done

echo ${INPUT}miro@miro-ntb:tmp$ ./fact.sh 30
expr: *: Numerical result out of range
expr: syntax error

How about letting bc do all the dirty work?
Code:
miro@miro-ntb:tmp$ cat fact.sh
#!/bin/bash
function fac {
  N=$1
  fact=1
  while [ $N -gt 1 ] ; do 
    fact="${fact}*${N}"
    ((N--))
  done
  echo $fact | bc
}

fac $1

miro@miro-ntb:tmp$ ./fact.sh 6
miro@miro-ntb:tmp$ ./fact.sh 150
57133839564458545904789328652610540031895535786011264182548375833179\
82912484539839312657448867531114537710787874685420416266625019868450\
44663559491959220665749425920957357789293253572904449624724054167907\

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding functions

Hi, I have a function or script like this. show() { echo "Hi" } | tee -a log show This creates a logfile and prints Hi in it. Now when I try to do the same for sql like this: show() { sqlplus -s scott/tiger<<! select * from details; ! } | tee -a log show Then it gives me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions in

hi could anybody please suggest me how to put a function memory for particular user. say i am a user rao. want have a function foo in memory . i have done this .typed the function function in the shell it worked for the session.but next time i do login its not there . i can i have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of functions

Hi my shell is tcsh can I have functions in my shell scripting? Is the below shell script correct. Can I have two functions and call one of them as required. ---------- echo "functions" f1 f1 () { echo "hello" } f2 () (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with functions

I'm semi new to unix/linux and am trying to convert a program I wrote in C++ to a bash script. It's a program that prints Fibonacci's series. I have found scripts that will do it, but I'm trying persistently to get this one to work. The problem occurs when I try to return a value from the function.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glowworm
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Factorial using FOR loop not working

Hi, I am trying to run the factorial script but it’s not working. The code is mentioned below: ------------------------------------------------------------------ /home/gc> cat fact.sh #!/bin/bash # using one command line parameter factorial=1 for (( number = 1; number <= $1 ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i think i need functions ?

Hi, im making a little script but need some help Code i have so far is read -p 'Bot Nickname:' ecnick read -p 'Bot Username:' ecusername read -p 'Bot Realname:' ecrealname read -p 'Your Email:' ecemail echo '' echo Your bots nickname is set to $ecnick echo Your bots username is set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gemster
2 Replies

8. Programming

Functions

Hi All, Can any one help me. I am calling in a function2 with string as parameter from function1, the function1 gives 3 values. how i get the 3 values from funciton2 to function1. i have to give a return or something. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday.sena.m
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

README: Factorial quick chart with sed & bc:

Hi all, While doing some checks I found a kind of interesting arithmetic factorial chart with sed, sharing this may be simple but thought to share, # n=20;for i in `seq $n`;do printf "`seq $i|xargs|sed 's/ /*/g'`= ";echo "`seq $i|xargs|sed 's/ /*/g'`"| bc;done 1= 1 1*2= 2 1*2*3= 6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies
fmlexpr(1F)							   FMLI Commands						       fmlexpr(1F)

NAME
fmlexpr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
fmlexpr arguments DESCRIPTION
The fmlexpr function evaluates its arguments as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to FMLI must be escaped. Note that 30 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be pre- ceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2s complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by . The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. USAGE
Expressions expr | expr Returns the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0, otherwise returns the second expr. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, >, >=, <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { *, /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. expr : expr The matching operator : (colon) compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1), except that all patterns are "anchored" (that is, begin with ^) and, therefore, ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of bytes matched (0 on failure). Alterna- tively, the (...) pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Incrementing a variable Add 1 to the variable a: example% fmlexpr $a + 1 | set -l a Example 2: Setting a variable equal to a filename For $a equal to either /usr/abc/file or just file: example% fmlexpr $a : .*/(.*) | $a returns the last segment of a path name (that is, file). Watch out for / alone as an argument: fmlexpr will take it as the division opera- tor (see NOTES below). Example 3: A better representation of Example 2 example% fmlexpr //$a : .*/(.*) The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator (because it makes it impossible for the left-hand expression to be interpreted as the division operator), and simplifies the whole expression. Example 4: Counting characters in a variable Return the number of characters in $VAR: example% fmlexpr $VAR : .* EXIT STATUS
As a side effect of expression evaluation, fmlexpr returns the following exit values: 0 if the expression is neither NULL nor 0 (that is, TRUE) 1 if the expression is NULL or 0 (that is, FALSE) 2 for invalid expressions (that is, FALSE). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), expr(1), set(1F), sh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string In the case of syntax errors and non-numeric arguments, an error message will be printed at the current cursor position. Use refresh to redraw the screen. NOTES
After argument processing by FMLI, fmlexpr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: example% fmlexpr $a = = looks like: example% fmlexpr = = = as the arguments are passed to fmlexpr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works, and returns TRUE: example% fmlexpr X$a = X= SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 fmlexpr(1F)