Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xm block-attach
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support xm block-attach Post 302512103 by pileofrogs on Friday 8th of April 2011 11:27:55 AM
Old 04-08-2011
Short Answer:

Yup! That 'w' means read/write. You might have read only drives, such as a CD. You can mount read-only drives on multiple DomUs and you can't do that (without major craziness or a network/cluster filesystem) with a read/write drive.

Long Answer:

Typing "xm block-attach" into google, got me this man page

xm(1): Xen management user interface - Linux man page

with this section on block-attach

block-attach domain-id be-dev fe-dev mode [bedomain-id]
Create a new virtual block device. This will trigger a hotplug event for the guest.

OPTIONS
domain-id
The domain id of the guest domain that the device will be attached to.
be-dev
The device in the backend domain (usually domain 0) to be exported. This can be specified as a physical partition (phy:sda7) or as a file mounted as loopback (file://path/to/loop.iso).
fe-dev
How the device should be presented to the guest domain. It can be specified as either a symbolic name, such as /dev/hdc, for common devices, or by device id, such as 0x1400 (/dev/hdc device id in hex).
mode
The access mode for the device from the guest domain. Supported modes are w (read/write) or r (read-only).
bedomain-id
The back end domain hosting the device. This defaults to domain 0.
EXAMPLES
Mount an ISO as a Disk
xm block-attach guestdomain file://path/to/dsl-2.0RC2.iso /dev/hdc ro

This will mount the dsl iso as /dev/hdc in the guestdomain as a read only device. This will probably not be detected as a cdrom by the guest, but mounting /dev/hdc manually will work.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to pileofrogs For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pine does'nt attach files

Hello All, I am maintaining a server and I use pine as MUA and sendmail as MTA. Suddenly many users in the network face the problem of not being able to attach files using pine. I checked the sendmail.cf file and found a variable "MaxMessageSize = 1000000". Eventhough the message size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maybemedic
2 Replies

2. AIX

Printers.hpJetDirect.attach

Can someone email me a copy of this file? Our AIX 5 cds are at our hotsite and I need a copy to try a fix on a printer. flyingdutchman1978@gmail.com Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: schism25
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

attach 2 files using mailx

if test.dat is the file cat test.dat|uuencode test.dat|mailx -s "subject" mailid can be used for attaching test.dat how can i attach more than one file to a mail using mailx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to attach a file in a email

Anyone can help me, in Unix, how can I attach a file in the email? Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ting123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can not attach using mailx

hi I know this topic has been discussed a lot in the forum but still couldnt get a exact solution to problem i am facing I have a CSV file genertaed on Unix box and want to be sent to my email . mailx -s "TEST" "xyz@hotmail.com" < 1.csv cat 1.csv | mailx -s "TEST" "xyz@hotmail.com" ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Help with Update on attach

Hi All, Can any-one explain me how update on attach works on solaris zones. Here is the situation . I am trying to migrate a zones xx-xxx-xxx from Global zone A to Global zone B. Here is the error message zoneadm is displaying zoneadm: zone 'xx-xx-xxx': ERROR: attempt to downgrade... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

7. Programming

attach is not a member of ofstream

Hi, Code written in C++ got compiled successfully using Sun 4.2 Compiler on Solaris 6. As part of migration, i am using same code and trying to compile using Sun 5.8 C++ compiler(Sun Studio11) on Solaris 10 and could not compile the below line, outStr.attach(1); // here outStr is declared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
1 Replies

8. Programming

attach message at runtime

Hello, I have a client C and server C, the client connects to the server and sends a message. At runtime I want to attach to the message sent, a couple (x, y) Do you know a mechanism that allows me this? Thank you. Cordially. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Metadevice Too Small To Attach

Hi All, I am having trouble with my metadevices and I hope someone can help. when i try to attach my submirror i get the following error: root@xxxx>metattach d31 d21 metattach: tbair1: d21: submirror too small to attach root@xxxx> However, There is a submirror on the other disk which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-Train
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attach the logfile(.log)

Hi All, Please provide command to attached the logfile in linux. This is Linux server version. HP-UX B.11.31 I try to attach the logfile by using uuenode. But it is not working. Please correct me. uuencode /a1/a2/rrpt.log /a1/a2/rrpt.log | mailx -s "$2" a.s@xxx.com The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies
readdvd(1)							    readdvd 1.0 							readdvd(1)

NAME
readdvd - is creating an image of your source dvd media or medias even if it has / they have corrupted blocks SYNOPSIS
readdvd [-l] [-h] readdvd -d DEVICE1 [-d DEVICE2] [-d ...] -o file.iso [-s #] [-v] [-vv] DESCRIPTION
readdvd reads even a corrupted dvd and writes the the result into a new image file on your harddisk. DEVICE
can be an IDE, SCSI, SATA, USB or FireWire connected optical drive. Not all SATA controller support all Plextor features. Linux: /dev/hdX: IDE device /dev/scdX: Linux 2.4: SATA, SCSI, USB device, or IDE device via ide-scsi emulation /dev/srX: Linux 2.6: IDE device via new ATA layer, SCSI or USB device OpenBSD/NetBSD: /dev/rcdX FreeBSD: /dev/cd: SCSI device /dev/acd: ATA device MacOS X: /dev/disk: win32: C:,D:,E:, ... X:,Y:,Z: OPTIONS
-l scan busses for all available CD and DVD devices -h help shows available options. -o file.iso write data to imagefile named file.iso -s # read source media with selected speed -v use verbose mode -vv use extended verbose mode INTERACTIVE MODUS
q stop reading media and exit w save sector map which is currently read and continue with the next one EXAMPLES
readdvd -d /dev/sr0 -o filename.iso -s 8 -v create an image filename.bin of inserted media in device /dev/sr0 with read speed 8 in verbose mode. please report man page improvements to T.Maguin@web.de Gennady ShultZ Kozlov 10. April, 2009 readdvd(1)