Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments Post 302511918 by vectox on Friday 8th of April 2011 12:59:20 AM
Old 04-08-2011
Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted.

Here was my old setup.
<DSL_Modem>-<Linux Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup works fine, with no fragmentation or performance issues

Setup 1
<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

Setup 2 (taking wifi out of the flow)
<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

I played with various MTU settings on the solaris server internal NIC, but it made no difference so I tried a couple of things with the client box.

I determined the max MTU I could send from my macbook as 1464 without getting fragmentation by using:
ping -D -s 1464 <any internet ip>

Once I manually set my MTU down to 1464 on my macbook instead of the default 1500 web pages started loading normally. So here's the problem...why do I have to manually set the MTU on the client macbook when I have my solaris server setup as a router. Is there some network related tuning I can perform on the server that will address these issues?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fragments in Solaris 8

When discussing inodes and data blocks, I know Solaris creates these data blocks with a total size of 8192b, divided into eight 1024b "fragments." It stores data in "contiguous" fragments and solaris doesn't allow a file to use portions of two different fragments. If the file size permits, then the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manderson19
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris behind a windows NAT...

Greetings, and thank you for your time. I am cracking the whip to self-teach myself Unix because I think it will be the best platform for me to really open my mind and be creative. Sadly I lack anyone experienced in Unix to nag with questions, so you will be seeing a lot of me here I am sure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dustin
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Destination NAT using ipnat in Solaris 8

Hello People, Please can someone help me with destination IP address NAT and Port transalation using ipnat in Solaris 8. Scenario: Box A(192.168.100.1/24) and Box B (192.168.100.50/24) are connected phyically and logically(vlan) on the same network switch. Box A hosts an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarawachat
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ipfilter solaris express

Hello, | am trying to setup ipfilter on solaris express snv_91 but I don't seem to have the following file available. /etc/ipf/pfil.ap Is this an older way of configuring the interface?, I have all the packages installed. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Express or OpenIndiana

Simply question which should I use. correct me if I'm wrong but Solaris Express is taking the place of Opensolaris and is officially sanctioned by Oracle and OpenIndiana is what used to be OpenSolaris. If I opt for OpenIndiana is it going to follow the official Oracle Solaris releases or are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 11 Express NAT performance issues

Hi all, I decided to replace my linux router/firewall with Solaris 11 express. This is a pppoe connection directly to my server...no router boxes. I got everything setup, but the performance is terrible on the NAT....really slow. A web page that loads on the server instantly will take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

7. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies
IP-TOKEN(8)							       Linux							       IP-TOKEN(8)

NAME
ip-token - tokenized interface identifier support SYNOPSIS
ip token { COMMAND | help } ip token set TOKEN dev DEV ip token del dev DEV ip token get [ dev DEV ] ip token [ list ] DESCRIPTION
IPv6 tokenized interface identifier support is used for assigning well-known host-part addresses to nodes whilst still obtaining a global network prefix from Router advertisements. The primary target for tokenized identifiers are server platforms where addresses are usually manually configured, rather than using DHCPv6 or SLAAC. By using tokenized identifiers, hosts can still determine their network prefix by use of SLAAC, but more readily be automatically renumbered should their network prefix change [1]. Tokenized IPv6 Identifiers are described in the draft [1]: <draft-chown-6man-tokenised-ipv6-identifiers-02>. ip token set - set an interface token set the interface token to the kernel. TOKEN the interface identifier token address. dev DEV the networking interface. ip token del - delete an interface token delete the interface token from the kernel. dev DEV the networking interface. ip token get - get the interface token from the kernel show a tokenized interface identifier of a particular networking device. Arguments: coincide with the arguments of ip token set but the TOKEN must be left out. ip token list - list all interface tokens list all tokenized interface identifiers for the networking interfaces from the kernel. SEE ALSO
ip(8) AUTHOR
Manpage by Daniel Borkmann iproute2 28 Mar 2013 IP-TOKEN(8)