Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments Post 302511918 by vectox on Friday 8th of April 2011 12:59:20 AM
Old 04-08-2011
Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted.

Here was my old setup.
<DSL_Modem>-<Linux Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup works fine, with no fragmentation or performance issues

Setup 1
<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

Setup 2 (taking wifi out of the flow)
<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

I played with various MTU settings on the solaris server internal NIC, but it made no difference so I tried a couple of things with the client box.

I determined the max MTU I could send from my macbook as 1464 without getting fragmentation by using:
ping -D -s 1464 <any internet ip>

Once I manually set my MTU down to 1464 on my macbook instead of the default 1500 web pages started loading normally. So here's the problem...why do I have to manually set the MTU on the client macbook when I have my solaris server setup as a router. Is there some network related tuning I can perform on the server that will address these issues?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fragments in Solaris 8

When discussing inodes and data blocks, I know Solaris creates these data blocks with a total size of 8192b, divided into eight 1024b "fragments." It stores data in "contiguous" fragments and solaris doesn't allow a file to use portions of two different fragments. If the file size permits, then the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manderson19
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris behind a windows NAT...

Greetings, and thank you for your time. I am cracking the whip to self-teach myself Unix because I think it will be the best platform for me to really open my mind and be creative. Sadly I lack anyone experienced in Unix to nag with questions, so you will be seeing a lot of me here I am sure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dustin
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Destination NAT using ipnat in Solaris 8

Hello People, Please can someone help me with destination IP address NAT and Port transalation using ipnat in Solaris 8. Scenario: Box A(192.168.100.1/24) and Box B (192.168.100.50/24) are connected phyically and logically(vlan) on the same network switch. Box A hosts an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarawachat
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ipfilter solaris express

Hello, | am trying to setup ipfilter on solaris express snv_91 but I don't seem to have the following file available. /etc/ipf/pfil.ap Is this an older way of configuring the interface?, I have all the packages installed. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Express or OpenIndiana

Simply question which should I use. correct me if I'm wrong but Solaris Express is taking the place of Opensolaris and is officially sanctioned by Oracle and OpenIndiana is what used to be OpenSolaris. If I opt for OpenIndiana is it going to follow the official Oracle Solaris releases or are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 11 Express NAT performance issues

Hi all, I decided to replace my linux router/firewall with Solaris 11 express. This is a pppoe connection directly to my server...no router boxes. I got everything setup, but the performance is terrible on the NAT....really slow. A web page that loads on the server instantly will take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

7. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies
setupcon(1)							   User Manuals 						       setupcon(1)

NAME
setupcon - sets up the font and the keyboard on Linux console SYNOPSIS
setupcon [ option ]... [ variant ... ] DESCRIPTION
setupcon is a program for fast and easy setup of the font and the keyboard on the Linux console. OPTIONS
-k, --keyboard-only Setup the keyboard only, do not setup the font. -f, --font-only Setup the font only, do not setup the keyboard. --force Do not check whether we are on the console. Notice that you can be forced to hard-reboot your computer if you run setupcon with this option and you are on a X server. -v, --verbose Be more verbose. Use this option if something goes wrong. --save If you want to use setupcon early in the boot process, it is possible that /usr is not yet mounted and the required data are not available. This option makes setupcon copy the required data in /etc/console-setup in order to make it available before /usr is mounted. If you use setupcon early in the boot process, then use this option whenever you change the console configuration. --save-only Same like --save, but do not setup the keyboard and the font. This option can be useful if you run setupcon in a X server. -h, --help Display usage information. variant Specifies which configuration file to use. By default the configuration file of setupcon is /etc/default/console-setup but if you use e.g. "chukchi" as variant then the configuration file will be /etc/default/console-setup.chukchi. This allows you to have sev- eral different configurations - for example one for the Chukchi language and another in /etc/default/console-setup for your default configuration. BASIC USAGE
Most of the time you invoke setupcon without arguments. Please look at the README file for more information. AUTHOR
Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>, <zinoviev@debian.org> console-setup APR 2007 setupcon(1)