Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Performance investigation, very high runq-sz %runocc Post 302511629 by achenle on Thursday 7th of April 2011 08:37:26 AM
Old 04-07-2011
None of your disks seems to be all that busy - the service times are all really good. The vmstat output doesn't look exceptional.

Yet the Sybase DB processes are pegging their CPUs.

Looks like you could use some serious database tuning.
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Causes of high runq-sz and cswch/s output from sar

Hi folks, I'm running RHEL4 (2.6.9 - 64 bit) on a 4 CPU Dual Core Xeon. This server is running DB2 database. I've been getting the following readings from sar over the past week: 09:35:01 AM cswch/s 09:40:01 AM 4774.95 09:45:01 AM 27342.76 09:50:02 AM 196015.02 09:55:01 AM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fulat2k
8 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

High Performance Computing

I am interested in setting up some High Performance Computing clusters and would like to get people's views and experiences on this. I have 2 requirements: 1. Compute clusters to do fast cpu intensive computations 2. Storage clusters of parallel and extendable filesystems spread across many... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
6 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

What does high performance computing mean?

Sorry, I am not really from a computer science background. But from the subject of it, does it mean something like multi processor programming? distributed computing? like using erlang? Sound like it, which excite me. I just had a 3 day crash course in erlang and "Cocurrency oriented programming"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
7 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

High performance Linkpack

hello everyone , Im new to HPL. i wanted to know whether High performance linpack solves linear system of equations for single precision airthmatic on LINUX. it works for double precision , so is there any HPL version which is for single precision.\ thanks . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_viz
0 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

High Performance Linpack Compiling Issue

I'm trying to compile Linpack on a Ubuntu cluster. I'm running MPI. I've modified the following values to fit my system TOPdir MPdir LAlib CC LINKER. When compiling I get the following error: (the error is at the end, the other errors in between are because I've ran the script several times so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPJPJPJP
0 Replies
QER(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    QER(8)

NAME
qer, runq - queues management for spooled files SYNOPSIS
qer root tag reply args runq [ -ad ] root cmd DESCRIPTION
Qer creates a control and a data file in a queue directory. The control file contents consist of the tag, reply, and args separated by spaces. The data file contains the standard input to qer. The files are created in the directory root/user, where user is the contents of /dev/user. Mktemp(2) is used to create the actual names of the control and data file. Runq processes the files queued by qer. Without the -a option, runq processes all requests in the directory root/user, where user is the contents of /dev/user. With the -a it processes all requests. Each request is processed by executing the command cmd with the contents of the control file as its arguments, the contents of the data file as its standard input, and standard error appended to the error file E.XXXXXX. The action taken by runq depends on the return status of cmd. If cmd returns a null status, the processing is assumed successful and the control, data, and error files are removed. If cmd returns an error status containing the word the files are left to be reprocessed at a later time. For any other status, an error message is mailed to the requester and the files are removed. Runq uses the reply field in the control file as a mail address to which to send an error notification. The notification contains the contents of the control file to iden- tify the failed request. To avoid reprocessing files too often, the following algorithm is used: a data file younger than one hour will not be processed if its error file exists and was last modified within the preceding 10 minutes. A data file older than one hour will not be processed if its error file exists and was last modified within the preceding hour. The -d option causes debugging output on standard error describing the progress through the queues. Runq is often called from cron(8) by an entry such as 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * kremvax runq -a /mail/queue /mail/lib/remotemail The entry must be a single line; it is folded here only so it fits on the page. FILES
root/user queue directory for user root/user/D.XXXXXX data file root/user/C.XXXXXX control file root/user/E.XXXXXX error file SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/upas/q SEE ALSO
mail(1) QER(8)