Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract string from multiple file based on line count number Post 302511533 by ctsgnb on Thursday 7th of April 2011 04:26:09 AM
Old 04-07-2011
@cgkmal
@rdcwayx
@alister

I just wanted to pointed out a potential unexpected behaviour :

If one of the considered a[FNR] fields of the scanned files has the value 0

the code :

Code:
a[FNR]=a[FNR]?a[FNR] FS $3:$3

will behave a wrong way :

a[FNR]? will be evaluated to "false" so that the a[FNR] will be reset to $3 and may lose the previous concatenated values which doesn't fit with what we are looking for ...
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a line from a file using the line number

I have a shell script and want to assign a value to a variable. The value is the line exctrated from a file using the line number. The line number it is not fix, and could change any time. I have tried sed, awk, head .. See my script # Get randome line number from the file #selectedline = `awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zambo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file using the line number

Hello, I am having trouble extracting a specific line from a file when the line number is known. My first attempt involved grep -n 'hi' (the word 'hi will always be there) to get the line number before the line that I actually want (line 4). Extra Notes: -I am working in a bash script. -The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a specific number from an XML file based on the start and end tags

Hello People, I have the following contents in an XML file ........... ........... .......... ........... <Details = "Sample Details"> <Name>Bob</Name> <Age>34</Age> <Address>CA</Address> <ContactNumber>1234</ContactNumber> </Details> ........... ............. .............. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushant172
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract specific data and count number containing sets from a file?

Hello everybody! I am quit new here and hope you can help me. Using an awk script I am trying to extract data from several files. The structure of the input files is as follows: TimeStep parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 parameter4 e.g. 1 X Y Z L 1 D H Z I 1 H Y E W 2 D H G F 2 R... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel8472
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file by line number

Hi guys, does anyone know how to extract(grep) a line from the file, if I know the line number? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two non-consecutive lines based on line number or string

This is a variation of an earlier post found here: unixcom/shell-programming-scripting/159821-merge-two-non-consecutive-lines.html User Bartus11 was kind enough to solve that example. Previously, I needed help combining two lines that are non-consecutive in a file. Now I need to do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: munkee
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing: money king money queen money cat money also money king all those strings are on one line in the file. how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line? egrep -c "money king" wont work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
VIEWPERL(1)							   User Commands						       VIEWPERL(1)

NAME
viewperl - quickly view syntax highlighted Perl code SYNOPSIS
viewperl [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
View a Perl source code file, syntax highlighted. -c, --code=CODE view CODE, syntax highlighted -l, --lines display line numbers -L, --no-lines supress display of line numbers (default) -m, --module=FILE consider FILE the name of a module, not a file name -n, --name display the name of each file (default) -N, --no-name supress display of file names (implied by --no-reset) -p, --pod display inline POD documentation (default) -P, --no-pod hide POD documentation (line numbers still increment) -r, --reset reset formatting and line numbers each file (default) -R, --no-reset supress resetting of formatting and line numbers -s, --shift=WIDTH set tab width (default is 4) -t, --tabs translate tabs into spaces (default) -T, --no-tabs supress translating of tabs into spaces --help display this help and exit Note that module names should be given as they would appear after a Perl `use' or `require' statement. `Getopt::Long', for example. Each string given using -c is considered a different file, so line number and formatting resets will apply. View a Perl source code file, syntax highlighted. -c, --code=CODE view CODE, syntax highlighted -l, --lines display line numbers -L, --no-lines supress display of line numbers (default) -m, --module=FILE consider FILE the name of a module, not a file name -n, --name display the name of each file (default) -N, --no-name supress display of file names (implied by --no-reset) -p, --pod display inline POD documentation (default) -P, --no-pod hide POD documentation (line numbers still increment) -r, --reset reset formatting and line numbers each file (default) -R, --no-reset supress resetting of formatting and line numbers -s, --shift=WIDTH set tab width (default is 4) -t, --tabs translate tabs into spaces (default) -T, --no-tabs supress translating of tabs into spaces --help display this help and exit Note that module names should be given as they would appear after a Perl `use' or `require' statement. `Getopt::Long', for example. Each string given using -c is considered a different file, so line number and formatting resets will apply. viewperl August 2007 VIEWPERL(1)