Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ssh, truecrypt, sshfs in a script Post 302511326 by KenJackson on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 01:00:15 PM
Old 04-06-2011
Your alternate method of running truecrypt locally seems to be the very best approach. It doesn't make sense that it would be slow unless the server is able to run truecrypt very quickly and the local machine is very slow or resource-limited.

Since the data is already encrypted, maybe you could serve it with NFS instead of SSH.

Are both machines running Linux?

BTW, Fedora Linux renames truecrypt to realcrypt.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 and sshfs

Hi, all.. Does Solaris 8 support sshfs? (Sorry if my question is too simple :o) We are going to mount a file system from Solaris 8 on HP-UX 11i. Will things will go smoothly with this? Will there be any performance problem if the number of users grow to perform I/O operations on mounted fs? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sshfs twice on the same dir

Hi everyone. I have 3 machines, let's call them store, node1 and node2. I have to mount on node1 and node2 the same directory of store. So, I launch the sshfs command on node1 and everything works fine. But when I try to do that on node2, it hangs for a while and then I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount twice sshfs dir

Hi everyone. I have 3 machines, let's call them store, node1 and node2. I have to mount on node1 and node2 the same directory of store. So, I launch the sshfs command on node1 and everything works fine. But when I try to do that on node2, it hangs for a while and then I obtain:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Alternative to sshfs?

I have an automated testing script that relies on the dev box being able to see production's (NFS) share. It uses rsync and ssh to handle transfers and command execution; however, it also needs the production share mounted in order to run Perl code against it when Unix commands via ssh will not do.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sshfs script

Hi, I am new to this forum. I want to setup my personal Dropbox between my home server and the work station in the office. I followed this tutorial danbishop.org/2011/09/10/...-in-os-x-lion/and it works great. :) The trouble now is I am not sure how I can make it to start on boot. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macpc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH tunnel working for ssh but not for sshfs

I'm trying to setup a link between my home pc (work-machine) and a server at work (tar-machine) that is behind a gateway (hop-machine) and not directly accessible. my actions: work-machine$ ssh -L 1234:tar-machine:22 hop-machine work-machine$ ssh -p 1234 user@127.0.0.1 - shh access on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vathau
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)