Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Different ways in which applications are Launched. Post 302511295 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 11:18:37 AM
Old 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler
If init needs the fork command to start a new process , what is inbetween clicking a mouse button and starting the new process? Which alreadly occuring process issues the fork command?
Anything can fork(), not just init. X runs applications or a window manager when it starts and those applications fork().

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is there a way to find out the tty from which the process is launched

Hi all, There is an application which can be launched once on our box and there are several suspected users telnet into the system with the same login ID. Is there a way that i can find out from which tty the application is launched? If so, i can get the user name from the "finger"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lastlog and launched process

Hello there, I "discovered" an interesting command lastlog, but I couldn't find, until now:cool:, if it's possible to get a list of the launched process by users and root during a certain of time... ...any idea would be really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Giordano Bruno (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill remote application launched via SSH command

Hi All I launch some application in a remote machine using ssh EXAMPLE ssh -X myname@mycompany@RemoteServerIp 'myApplicationName' When I want to kill the application I hit CTRL+C and I see a message 'Killed by signal 2'. Unfortunately on the remote machine the application is not really... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script run when executable is launched

I need to know how to have a BASH script run every time Firefox is launched, what is the simplest way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Debian

After saving a pic, gimp should not be launched

Hi, i use a crunchbang-LINUX . The Problem: When i download and save a picture, the system automaticaly launches gimp. i tried to find a config file, were i can switch of this "gimp-start," but unfortunatelly i didnt find it. cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager /usr/bin/slim I'm also not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command after a program was launched

Hi Experts, I am creating a script to monitor a certain applications running in my Unix system. My script order goes this way: df -h /of/a/filesystem tail -5 /path/to/an/application/availability su -c "jsmon pf=(profile of my application) `echo "p"`" usradm #EOF I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xworks
7 Replies
runit-init(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     runit-init(8)

NAME
init - a UNIX process no 1 SYNOPSIS
init [ 0 | 6 ] DESCRIPTION
runit-init is the first process the kernel starts. If runit-init is started as process no 1, it runs and replaces itself with runit(8). If runit-init is started while the system is up, it must be either called as init 0 or init 6: init 0 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and halt the system. To signal runit(8) the system halt request, runit-init removes all permissions of the file /etc/runit/reboot (chmod 0), and sets the execute by owner permission of the file /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). init 6 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and reboot the system. To signal runit(8) the system reboot request, runit-init sets the execute by owner permission of the files /etc/runit/reboot and /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). EXIT CODES
runit-init returns 111 on error, 0 in all other cases. SEE ALSO
runit(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), sv(8), runsv(8), chpst(8), utmpset(8), svlogd(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runit-init(8)